8gallon keggle!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exo

Reaction score
I scored on a 8 gallon (OK, 7.75) converted keg. So I have me a mini-keggle to go with my mini-mash. Complete with a welded fitting. Full boil of mini-mashes here I come. I just have to supply the 1/2" valve-arm...whatchacallit.

My only problem is that the keg is dirty as all heck inside. What should I use besides serious elbow grease to get this honey clean? Any tips on chemicals to make my life any easier?

I used TSP to clean mine out. Give Oxyclean a try. It's easier on the skin and environment. Wear some rubber gloves with TSP though.

I am going to do a full boil. My new "AG" system is 6gallon buckets with a false bottom and a sparge arm. I'm starting with my Mirror Pond clone. 4.5# of grain and 4.5# of LME. As I progress and know I have room for 10-12# of grain I will do some all-grain.

As I decided on a system my LHBS guy advised against all-grain, prefering to go with the mini-mash/partial-mash. Regardless, I think it's going to make a great beer.

I'll have photos throughout...

Ohh, TSP it is! I've seen some suggestions for muriatic acid as well.

Bar keepers friend works great on stainless steel. Plus it helps restore the protective layer that stainless has. I use it on my brew kettle and it works great. You can find it at most grocery store with all the cleaners.

Soon enough! Having enough problems with my PM atm! Next batch will be AG. I think I'll brew my first AG in honor of the venerable BrewPastor and brew his Bastard Lager!

Bar keepers friend is the best for cleaning stainless.
BTW, It is a converted keg or boil pot, Keggles are an excercise women do after childbirth...

Monster Mash said:
Bar keepers friend is the best for cleaning stainless.
BTW, It is a converted keg or boil pot, Keggles are an excercise women do after childbirth...

WRONG! KEGEL is what women do after childbirth, pronounced the same way though. Just thought I'd throw that out there so people aren't scared to refer to their keg brew kettles as keggles.

One more thing how does the quarter barrel work for boiling enough for 5 gallons of wort?

I just thought it was funny how Monster Mash posted it with such matter of fact. Also I agree with what you say that people are horrible spellers, what would we do without spell check? Either way a kegel or keggle is a good thing no matter which way you look at it.

beer4breakfast said:
Finally - kegs converted into boil kettles ARE also keggles. It's ridiculous to claim that they aren't, when so many people call them that. The English language is constantly evolving. It is not static or dead, and it doesn't really need policing by anyone to make it pure.

They may be referred to "keggles" as a "common" name, but that doesn't make it a proper term. Common words (read "slang") are making it into the dictionary more and more. Actually disappointing because kids can barely read coming out of school these days, and IMO they don't need to be taught "slang", they use it far too often now. Most schools are teaching word recognition, again disappointing, and not teaching any form of phonics at all. Ever see a young kid try to figure out how to say a word they have not seen before, pretty sad actually.

"Keggles" (brewers slang) is a lot easier to say than "converted keg", but it's still just a slang word, like "hoopty" (urban slang).

Back