88% Efficiency with no sparge....WTF

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattGuk

Reaction score
hi guys,

a mate of mine asked if it was possible to make 23ltr batch a beer ( 4.5% or higher ) for less than £10.
so i decided to make a brew and use Amylase enzyme to achieve this.
my recipe was

2.5kg of Dingemans Pilsner Malt
1.5 kg of Flaked corn
100grm of Crystal 60

i also carry out no sparge brewing and base all my recipes between 73% and 76% efficiency which has always been bang on the money.
I mashed in with 42 litres of water and carried out a 15 minute protein rest at 130F, then raised the temp to 145F and let sit for 90 minutes, recirculated for 15 mins with pump and ran off to brew kettle.
My volumes and gravities were

Estimated pre boil- 33 litres @ 1.027
Actual Pre boil- 33 litres @ 1.032
Etimated post boil- 27 litres @ 1.033
Actual post boil- 27 litres @ 1.040 :drunk:

so it look likes it is indeed possible for me to brew for less than £10 but this beer is going to turn out way stronger than had planned as the instructions say to add the enzyme when pitching yeast to achieve a dry beer, looks like if this does churn down to 1.000 then im going to end up with a beer that is around 5.6% abv.

Well I like your mash temps but I wouldn't add the enzymes. You've got nothing but Beta amylase so it's going to be thin already. If it goes down to 1.0 then it's going to just be alcoholic water with no real flavor. I say you win the bet but will you enjoy the outcome? But then again, there's only one way to find out!:)

Yeah i knew what the enzyme.would do and that is why i wanted to use it, kinda like the Miller Lite recipe under light hybrid beer, just i didnt coint on getting 88% lol, at least this has been loaded with kabek hops to get lemon flavor and aroma, and i will dry hop it too, but hey..... Experimenting is all the fun in homebrewing lol

Yeah i kinda guessed what the enzymes would do after reading the Miller Lite recipe in light hybrid beers, i just didnt.count on getting 88% efficiency, but hey ho...... Experimentation and.homebrew go together lol

Back