8 mm Spouts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wild Duk

Reaction score
Found this on another chat board......They are the 8 mm spouts for Perlick and Ventmatic.......He actually modified them so that you don't get the beer dribble 2 minutes after pouring a draft.....

Center Line Technologies

What are the benefits of the 8mm over the 10 and 12? Never heard of different size spouts and am curious. especially at only 8.50 a piece (I have 3 Perlicks) I would consider the option.

I think the problem is that with homebrew, the serving pressure is a little lower than with commercial. So with the 12 mm faucets, some people, myself included, would get a little bubble form in the middle of the pour, sort of a hollow stream coming out of the faucet. This caused overwanted foaming......

The smaller 8mm holes stopped this from happening.....But with the smaller 8mm hole, after you pour a draft, the beer kind of kets trapped inside the faucet, by vacuum I guess, then a minute or so later that beer would dribble out. His new design supposively stops that from happeneng....

If your not getting the hollow pour, then I wouldn't worrk about it....

I could very well be getting a hollow pour. Can't tell. But I do get quite a bit of foam on my pours with 10ft of line. I am using line from Lowes though and will replace that with beer line as a first solution. If that doesn't work, I'll keep the 8mm in mind. Any chance that standard perlicks would come with 8mm? Is that an ID Measurement? or where exactly is the 8mm measurement? I'd like to measure mine to make sure I'm not ordering what I have.

post a pic. of the end of the spout....I can tell by looking, the 8mm is quite smaller.....I think its the I.D.

Cool. I have actually witnessed the hollow pour and related foaming as well. Didn't realize it was the nozzles causing the issue. Might have to invest in some of these.

How to you see the hollow pour? Are you looking up into the pour!?

I think My line is actually sucking in air during the pour. Gonna start with lines and different clamps.

Click the My Keezer link for Pics. They're not super closeup of the spout but see if you can tell.

You can tell with the hollow pour. Just the structure of how it comes out is obvious.

I get the hollow pour pretty often so I ordered a set. Will report back when they arrive, but Mike (the guy who makes them) has been very quick to respond to emails so far.

I'm thinking I have the hollow pour after watching some of vids of other beer pours. I also think my pours are coming out way to fast. Are these spouts the only solution for this?

Cool. I have actually witnessed the hollow pour and related foaming as well. Didn't realize it was the nozzles causing the issue. Might have to invest in some of these.

It's actually the nut behind the wheel. Most homebrewers serve at low pressures to compensate for an unbalanced system. Hollow pours are not the fault of the spout.

However I do have one that I use for porters. It gives a nice creamy head, and the beer comes whizzing out.:D

And as for the dripping, my faucets never drip more than 2 or 3 times, that sounds like a sealing problem.

I put three of these on my kegarator this weekend. Very nice workmanship and Mike at Center Line was great to deal with. (I got to be his PayPal guinea pig). Oh yeah, and they pour a nice full stream now. :mug:

I got the ventmatic style and they didn't quite thread all the way in. Mike offered to rework them, but I think it makes the faucets look cool.

DSCF3294.JPG

DSCF3293.JPG

Someone tell this guy to machine one that will house a restrictor plate. You could instantly serve creamy stouts by replacing the spout.

That right there saves you about $90 and gives you flexibility with each of your taps.

I sent him a note about it. That's a great idea.
And Mike's a great guy to work with on custom orders.

Here is the video I promised. Stock Perlick first, 8mm Centerline second. I don't think I had a problem with hollow pours in the first place, so the two pours look exactly the same to me. At least I got to drink the beer afterwards :)

Stats: fridge at 37F, pouring ginger ale. 12psi with 5' of 3/16" beer line.

[youtube]Cn_183bbzB4[/youtube]

-Joe

A few observations after a weekend of "testing".

On low-normal carbonation beers the pour is much nicer. No more air bubble trapped at the spout. The air bubble seemed to cause some extra turbulence resulting in increased foaming. So that is much improved. I also get a couple of ounces of foam on the first pour from the beer already in the line and that seems to have been reduced slightly. Enough that I don't need to dump the couple of ounces anyway.

I never had trouble with the larger spouts dripping so having to wait for the "big drip" takes a little getting used to.

On higher carbonation beers you'll still need a longer line or some sort of restrictor. The extra resistance in the spout isn't enough to make a difference.

As for the threads being a bit too long - it seems like there is room for an o-ring like on the larger spouts, but there was a note in the box that said it wasn't needed. Not sure what purpose it serves, but I guess you could add one to take up the small gap. It's not really noticeable when looking at the faucet from above so I don't plan to do anything about it.

Hope that helps.

Did you notice any less foaming from the 8mm or did that have any affect?
I did not notice any difference. I will continue testing and see if I notice anything.

Again, my system is already pretty stable so I didn't really expect a big change.

Also regarding the thread length, on my Perlicks the spout appears to thread in exactly the same way/distance as the stock spout.

-Joe

So the thread issue seems to only be with Ventmatics? Cool. I will be playing with different line and Temp probe placement first but will keep these in mind for another option.

Latest posts

Back