8 beers you should stop drinking immediately

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As for "Natural" and "Organic", cow and horse urine is both of those.

As for GMOs I think there is a HUGE difference in what all gets lumped into that category. IMHO there is a HUGE difference from cross breeding/selective breeding programs vs. Genetic manipulation of things that probably would never occur naturally.

My opinion on how this all translates to my beer is if the yeast can ferment it and it tastes good I will drink it. If I am looking at commercial beer purchases, I only by craft beer from non-macro owned/partially owned companies and if it is GMO, pesticide ridden, organic/natural I apply the same logic to those beers, if the yeast can ferment it, I will drink it.

You misspelled genetically...

Sent from my C5155 using Home Brew mobile app

Sent from my tablet ;)

No offense meant, but -1000. That is not "genetic modification". Growers know this. Breeders know this. Agricultural scientists definitely know this.

If you're a "But THAT'S Wikipedia!" person, we can find a more impressive source (not to be derisive, but this is in HS textbooks). Suffice it to say that is not from an anti-GMO or pro-GMO website.

But now that you mention it I do think we should "genetically modify" certain antivaxers.
I understand there is a difference in method, control, and timeframe, but youre kidding yourself if you think cross breeding and selective breeding dont alter plant genetics. Less risk of mutant zombie sunflowers maybe, but altered genes happen in both cases.

Sent from my tablet ;)

I understand there is a difference in method, control, and timeframe, but youre kidding yourself if you think cross breeding and selective breeding dont alter plant genetics. Less risk of mutant zombie sunflowers maybe, but altered genes happen in both cases.

Man, just drink your beer and relax. You're not drinking for health reasons anyway.

I don' t know how credible that website is considering they are trying to blame school shootings on DHMO

" What is the link between Dihydrogen Monoxide and school violence?
A recent stunning revelation is that in every single instance of violence in our country's schools, including infamous shootings in high schools in Denver and Arkansas, Dihydrogen Monoxide was involved. In fact, DHMO is often very available to students of all ages within the assumed safe confines of school buildings. None of the school administrators with which we spoke could say for certain how much of the substance is in use within their very hallways. "

Im sure they stuff is dangerous but come on, correlation doesn't imply causation.

You know Dihydrogen Monoxide is H2O, right?

I agree that everyone should stop drinking MOST of the beers listed in that article......But not for any of the reasons that the author listed.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Home Brew mobile app

I really like the "if yeast can ferment it, it is drinkable" argument. Isn't that pretty much how Europe survived the water is often poisonous era?

I can't see where genetically modified grains would have any impact on the health affects of beer. My understanding of GMO for grains is to increase crop yields by making them more drought and insect resistant. It doesn't alter the amylopectins that alpha and beta amylase enzymes munch on during mashing to extract the maltose that is fermented or the dextrines (non fermentables) that give beer it's "mouth feel"

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

What a crock of sheet, when did corn syrup=sugar, natural flavors, and caramel color become bad ?

Are the calling the coloring in caramel malt the caramel coloring lol

Natural flavors are in every food we eat, should we all stop eating too?

Propylene Glycol is how they are preserving yeast when they freeze it, and it gets washed out before use.

Cheers

As for "we don't drink beer for health reasons" there was a blurb on my local news radio station about the "beer diet". Supposedly there's been a recent study (forgot the exact reference) that 1-2 beers a day is good for you due to beer's high source of antioxidants and B vitamins. Another factoid I learned several years ago while touring the Guinness brewery in Dublin is that they give it to new lactating Moms in the hospital due to its high B vitamins and mineral content. It's also a relatively low carb beer. It also taste much better over there. I don't know what they do to the stuff they ship to the states (yes, all Guinness is brewed in Dublin and shipped) cause it lacks body and mouthfeel.

DY

Young, I was drinking beer long before that factoid. I can tell you, health never entered my mind.

If people with sense abandon this thread, it's going to ferment. We can come back in 2-4 weeks and it's going to be full of all kinds of interesting things.

This guy seems to be reaching quite a bit. Non if those beers except Guinness are appealing anyways.

It doesn't matter if you are for or against GMOs, most people just want the labeling including myself. If you had labeling than you wouldn't have articles like this. It would say Made with GMO corn right on the can - maybe if we had that labeling larger brewers would start using pils malt rather than crap corn and avoid the GMO label.

If you are into scientific food and want salmon genes injected in your tomato, than more power to you - you should be able to buy your GMO tomato and trace all the weirdness it went through. I'd rather have a pure tomato grown from an heirloom seed but that's just me.

The rest of the developed world has GMO labeling but big biz always comes before consumers in the US, but it will be coming soon enough.

Not necessarily! In MA at least, Valley Malt and local farmers produce quality malt for more than reasonable prices!

Where do you get it. I looked at their website and it lists breweries and the like.

If I cannot get it I stand by my statement that going organic is expensive.

What is reasonable. I buy a lot of "generic" rather than the "name brands" to save $$.

8 websites you should stop reading immediately.

Corn is a genetically modified plant, and has been for thousands of years. In fact, corn would not exist without "genetic modification".

If you believe this, then you don't understand what genetic modification is.

For thousands of years, plant varietals were selected for their traits. This is breeding, not genetic modification. Specific plants were selected by farmers for their tastes, growing habits, ease of growth, pollination schedule, longevity, etc. Genetic modification, on the other hand, is where the DNA strands are scientifically altered to add a new trait to the plant(or animal), or to change the characteristics of the plant (or animal).

http://www.gmo-compass.org/eng/database/plants/36.barley.html

Correct, though don't let the potential size of the cash crop fool you. GMO eggplants are here (and also one of the sources of a quarter million Indian farmer suicides)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farmers'_suicides_in_India

Just to be clear, it is crushing debt that is believed to be driving the suicide rate, not GMO crops. Expense and performance of GMO crops are a big factor in the debt load, but let's not mistake the causative factor (debt) with the correlated factor (GMO).

Also, that article spoke about Bt cotton, not eggplant, or did I miss something?

If you believe this, then you don't understand what genetic modification is.

For thousands of years, plant varietals were selected for their traits. This is breeding, not genetic modification. Specific plants were selected by farmers for their tastes, growing habits, ease of growth, pollination schedule, longevity, etc. Genetic modification, on the other hand, is where the DNA strands are scientifically altered to add a new trait to the plant(or animal), or to change the characteristics of the plant (or animal).

Is breeding dogs and cats bad or considered GMO? :p :mug:

maybe I didn't get the joke. are you talking about breeding dogs and breeding cats

OR

breeding dogs WITH cats?

maybe I didn't get the joke. are you talking about breeding dogs and breeding cats

OR

breeding dogs WITH cats?

perfectpet.jpg

Breeding cats and dogs???
Did you hear about the cat trying to make love with a skunk? He didn't get all he wanted, but he had all he could take :ban:
And that my friends is why I ONLY drink FREE RANGE beers. Captured in a most friendly and congenial manner. Slain, processed and bottled in a most tender and caring way. So I might partake with a glad heart :drunk: or the equivilent of only 1 cup of coffee as it is only 8:25 am.
I too could almost be a 'journalist'...

Its stupid...just like the stupidity with "Organic" wine is going through...a wine made without Sulfites usually is garbage compared to the stuff that is. All in the name of being "Organic"...
Your going to die because of the long term adverse affects from the alcohol LONG before you die because of Sulfites or GMO crops in your alcoholic beverages.

Guinness and PBR are the only two I will touch and I will continue to drink them from time to time.

Well gee, 12 pages of debate in two days. :rockin:

My 2 cents: 'Let's keep everything all natural but fish bladder, insect dyes, and carrageenan aren't natural.'

Hurricanes and snakes and bears are natural too.

Its stupid...just like the stupidity with "Organic" wine is going through...a wine made without Sulfites usually is garbage compared to the stuff that is. All in the name of being "Organic"...
Your going to die because of the long term adverse affects from the alcohol LONG before you die because of Sulfites or GMO crops in your alcoholic beverages.

People support organic for other reasons than health including our water source, destroying the soil & natural ecosystems. The label 'organic' has turned into a marketing strategy that favors the big players to charge a premium rather than its original intended purpose which was to help save the soil & ecosystem.

Didn't intend to cross breed a dog with cat but hey thats cool too. I was more along the lines of joking how it is ok to breed a dog for traits but not our food.

Back to the all natural DHMO, GMO, hurricanes coming this September to an east coast near you. ;)

Screw these idiots, I still like Newcastle Brown Ale.... And I can't believe Guinness is on there.....But I drink enough to kill a small horse anyway, and that article is more suited for health nuts.

Back