8,800 pennies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RC0032

Reaction score
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mzc8vS-ac-g]YouTube - 8,800 PENNIES!!![/ame]

:drunk:

That hilarious. I used to be the front end supervisor/customer service person and I have refused to take tons of pennies as payment.

While it might have been funny, the towing company had every right to refuse the payment in pennies. I'm guessing the cops just told them they had to so they could get the hell out of there.

I think the fact that the towing company had a government contract they could not refuse someone business or money.

Even the goverment can refuse certain types of payment. I've paid a fine where they would only accept a money order.

But that is different than only accepting certain types of "cash." That would be like them saying they will take visa cards but not cards issued by a certain bank.

I thought I remember learning something to the effect of "Legally, every type of American currency must be accepted." Though obviously that isn't enforced at all.

The kid was 100% in the right. Read the back of money sometime. It says it is legal tender for all debts both public and private. I just think it's funny he had to dump it out of the box to push it under the window.

The kid was 100% in the right. Read the back of money sometime. It says it is legal tender for all debts both public and private. I just think it's funny he had to dump it out of the box to push it under the window.

Yes, it is legal tender, but it is the person accepting payment that gets to set the terms of the payment, not the person paying. No business is under any obligation to accept any particular form of payment.

On top of that, this is a major ********* move by a major *********.

Yes, it is legal tender, but it is the person accepting payment that gets to set the terms of the payment, not the person paying. No business is under any obligation to accept any particular form of payment.

Exactly, the only time that a person or business must accept legal tender is under contractual agreement where the specific form of payment is not specified.

But they except cash. Pennies are a form of cash. It is different than saying only accept money order. But I do agree that it was a ****** bag move. It was funny but actually having the cops come was over the line.

Right, but he is paying cash. If they accept cash, they must accept the pennies as payment.

I never understood how towing companies have any legal right to steal your vehicle and hold it ransom in the first place. Its one thing if your vehicle was breaking some kind of law (in front of a hydrant, fire lane, etc.), but parking in a lot without a permit? parking in the wrong spot in an apartment complex? or (around here) parking in the CORRECT lot but the parking authorities are too stupid to read your permit correctly... How are these "legal" infarctions that would justify the theft and ransom of your personal property?

On top of that, there are certain companies around here that ONLY accept cash, charge odd-ball amounts, and refuse to give change if you do not have the exact amount (which I am almost certain is illegal). If these companies are pulling ****** moves like this, I would gladly pay in 1/4 pennies if there were such a legal tender....

On top of that, there are certain companies around here that ONLY accept cash, charge odd-ball amounts, and refuse to give change if you do not have the exact amount (which I am almost certain is illegal). If these companies are pulling ****** moves like this, I would gladly pay in 1/4 pennies if there were such a legal tender....

Bingo. I understand they have a job to do and I understand it's peoples own fault for parking illegally, but they don't have to be dicks about it. They could act professional, but instead, around here, atleast, their business ethics are pretty questionalble.

Towing companies have no business ethics. They are reports of them taking cars illegally all the time in DFW. TV stations have done numerous stings. They are protected by laws that they abuse.

Way too funny... I think that this kid is actually smarter than he looks... Sure on the surface he is filming it and making it look like it is a big joke... But think about it...

He got what, 4 police cars involved in this, as well as taking up time from the collector for the towing agency.... Because he decided to pay in penny's...

If anything is certain... the $88 that he had to shell out ended up costing the city/town more for having to have that many officers roll out to a call... Figure $25-$30 hr per police officer 5-6 of them... he is easily sticking it to them...

Now if you were ever pissed about getting your car towed... that would be the way to handle it for sure lol

While mildly humourous, I think that guy is an incredible ****** for wasting tax payers dollars to have the cops come out to take care of that ****. Maybe next time he'll park appropriately, though I doubt he is capable of learning that lesson from all this.

I fully support shoving a big roll of pennies up the towing company's ass. Twice I've had my car towed for reasons that were BS. Once they didn't recognize my parking pass. Second time the wheel was halfway over the line. Die in a fire tow guy.

While mildly humourous, I think that guy is an incredible ****** for wasting tax payers dollars to have the cops come out to take care of that ****. Maybe next time he'll park appropriately, though I doubt he is capable of learning that lesson from all this.

So the towing company decides to hold his property after he has brought payment as set forth by them and this kid is the ******?

Where does it stop? Can I bring in singles and pay that way? If I can pay with 88 one dollar bills, why can't I pay with 352 quarters? 880 dimes? 1760 nickles?

Give the kid his car back.

There was a tow company where I lived that was towing any car parked for sale. On the side of the road, in parking lots, anywhere. They would say the owner of the property complained.

They towed my buddies car, then somehow got his umber and called him, told him it would be $$ to get his car back. He called the cops, they didn't know anything about it, So he went into their lot, and drove right out. didn't stop at the gate. They were yelling and screaming. Then they called the cops and reported the vehicle stolen.

The cops came to where we worked, he said hell no my car is not stolen, it is right outside. The company had a bad reputation, so the cops just said thank you, have a nice day. The company got busted a few months later.

What I think is worse than towing is wheel locks. That is BS. You could be standing there looking at your car, with money in hand, and nothing you can do.

I would not have taken the pennies. I would have sent him to the bank, or the grocery store to an auto counter. If the cops say it is federal law, I would have told them get the FBI out here.

I guess it must be the first time in history someone on the Internet was wrong. :rolleyes:

TwoHeadsBrewing has already posted a link that agrees with me, you should take a look. It was also mentioned to take this to the debate forum, so we can if you would like.

TwoHeadsBrewing has already posted a link that agrees with me, you should take a look. It was also mentioned to take this to the debate forum, so we can if you would like.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I refuse to enter or post in the debate forum. Moving this in there would mean I would have a post in there. :(

There is nothing to debate, they didn't specify to him that they do not accept pennies before towing his car. It said in the link that a business is free to specify what currencies they will or will not take, they didn't specify that they will not accept pennies. They simply told him it was $88 and he showed up with $88. I don't understand this hate for copper that everyone has saying they wouldn't take the pennies. This business is already going to have to go to the bank to make a deposit, take the pennies along and they will dump them in the machine.

Had I been in the situation of the employee I would have told them that the quantity of pennies would need to be verified by a coin counting machine, leaving him 2 options:

1. He can go to the bank, turn them in, and come back with it either rolled or in paper bills.

2. He can wait while an employee of the company goes to the bank, which would probably take longer than he would want to wait, and likely caused him to do it himself.

Either way had they kept their cool and not reacted like some brain dead redneck it would have been a very anti-climatic experience for him and would not likely be on youtube. I guess I have just dealt with enough customers trying to pull a fast one on me that I have learned that staying relaxed and giving them options leaves you in control of the situation.

The next thread topic: Is the penny outdated or needed in today society?

Yes its needed, not to us but to banks and huge corporations it is VERY needed. Because if interest were to be rounded to the nearest .05 it could mean millions of dollars.

Back