8.4% & Carbonating INSIDE the carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeadSquirrel

Reaction score
I almost always add honey to my wort. I like how it thins the brew up a bit, adds alcohol %'s, and adds clarity. I was making an extract brew using an american wheat kit (True Brew). I added two pounds of honey as I usually do. This time, one for the whole boil, and one pound with 15 minutes left to the boil.

My gravity reading was INSANE. I don't remember the exact reading, but I remember that the potential alcohol level was 9.4%! It blew the lid off of my fermentation bucket four days later! My husband was home and heard it blow. Scared the crap out of him. (we live near 'the hood' so he thought we were getting shot at!) I didn't know that it was possible to do that w/out breaking fingernails or using a pail opener. So I clean up the mess, and put it straight into the carboy w/ a blow-off and an airlock. No other blow outs.

I tested it with my wine-theif yesterday. It was partially carbonated (????) and wicked tasty. Lots of honey characteristics. It's been in the carboy for three weeks on Friday. I definetly will be splitting my honey on most brews from now on. Does anyone think that by adding honey at the end of the boil increases alcohol potential? It's the same amount of sugars, but less...dissolved so therefore easier for the yeast to eat maybe?

Has anyone else had something like this happen? I was boiling all the honey for the whole boil, but lately I've been splitting it and all of my readings are thru the roof.:drunk: I've even calibrated my equipment and it's all accurate.

Honey has variable levels of sugar in each batch - Bee hives are all individual. Its possible you got some real 'sugary' stuff but i doubt that 2lb would be that much of a bucket popper when made up to 5 gallons! Did you make up your boiled wort with water to the usual level that you make? Did you use your usual brand of honey this time round too?

I do a full 5 gallon boil using distilled water only. Then I add whatever I need to top it off in my primary. Just normal "Market Basket" Clover Honey. It's a cheap generic brand. :drunk: It's what I always use.

I'm just confussled.

Blowoffs happen. Since it happened four days after starting the ferment, it was more likely due to rising temperatures than sugar content. Fermenters do heat up sometimes.

DeadSquirrel said:
I do a full 5 gallon boil using distilled water only. ...

Distilled water? Is that a normal practice for homebrew? I thought that the minerals in drinking water were essential to proper brew chemistry. Hey, if you're getting good results with it, great. But, I've never heard of using it and am curious.

Because our town water is so bad, I have to either spend hours waiting for my brita filter, or buy distilled. The Spring water around here is just as bad. Tastes like you are drinking pool water.

Latest posts

Back