7 year old infected can kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skeeordye11

Reaction score
So I got a can kit from one of the LHBS a couple of months back. It was free because it expired in 2002 and had a serious sign of botchulism with a protruding top and bottom. I went up to my usual LHBS yesterday and hung out with a couple of relatively new brewers and passed on some of my wisom to them. Well, I didn't have the $ for ingredients, but I had the itch so I decided to brew up this old can kit and see what happened. It was a smoked brown ale kit (3.75#) and I decided to add 1# of table sugar. (I didn't want to invest too much in this batch in the event it doesn't turn out drinkable.) I did however pitch some fresh muntons yeast since I didn't trust the stuff that came with the kit. I have very low expectations for this batch, but at the very least I got to brew something! As of this morning, we had fermentation, so we'll see what happens!

I agree with the quote under your handle as "I love making beer" as well. This was the driving force behind this brewing adventure. But you have given me inspiration on a name now. #22 Smoked Botulism Brown Ale. Who wants to do a swap???

If any unwelcome organisms were present the boil would kill them, but not necessarily the toxins they have made, if any.

Let your brother-in-law try the first one.

I really hope he's kidding...

The danger of botulisim is the toxins that are produced while still in the can/ jar/ whatever...

Back