7-up clone (citrus soda)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hroth521

Reaction score
1 grapefruit
2 lemons
6 limes
1 - 1 1/2 cups sugar
5 cups water
1/4 tsp champagne yeast

Sanitize your 2 liter plastic bottle, bowl and anything else you're going to use.

Use organic fruit if possible. Wash the fruit carefully. Zest the peel. Put the zest into a saucepan with 1 cup sugar. Add 1 cup water and bring to a boil. Simmer for 5 minutes or so. (sanitizing the zest and dissolving the sugar). Off heat and cool to room temperature. Juice the fruit. I got about 2 cups of juice. Strain the zest/sugar water into the fruit juice. Add enough water to make 2 liters. Add the yeast and mix well. Using a sanitized funnel pour the juice/yeast into the bottle and cap. Leave at room temperature 12 - 24 hours until the bottle is very firm. Put into the refrigerator. Drink up when cold.

This was delicious, very refreshing and not a bad effort for my first soda. It might be a little tart (I only used 1 cup sugar) so you might want to add a little more but YMMV. To be a real 7-up clone I think I would have to cut the grapefruit a little and add more sugar but I like this the way it turned out.

Made this again the other day. Used 1 1/4 cups sugar, 5 limes, 2 lemons and 1 grapefruit. Only used the zest from 1 lemon and 1 lime. Cut the prep time by a lot and the soda tastes better.

Back