7 inch head

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theowlman16

Reaction score
Made u click! Alright, made an all grain hoppy stout. 14 days in the bottle. Threw a couple in the fridge for 2 days. Giant foamy head that took up more than half the glass. I actually under primed this one... .4 cup of corn sugar for 4.5 gallons. What do u think? Will this calm down, or could something be off? Anyone ever have to go low on priming sugar because of their "system"?

FG was stable for a few days. And it tastes great so no bugs. Maybe it needs more time to get CO2 into beer from headspace?

I brewed a brown ale that exhibited complete robust fermentation (like about to blow off the airlock)...and it too had a really large head after a few weeks of conditioning. The first couple of bottles I opened after about three weeks of conditioning looked like those homemade volcano science experiments from high school. I looked back at all the other bottles in the dark corner of my pantry...and was waiting for bottle bombs as the days went on.

I decided to set those out and move on to the next. After two months...the best brown I've ever brewed with perfect carbonation.

As long as those things aren't exploding...and as long as it doesn't taste like infections ruined it...give it time my friend.

I've had this happen with some of my bottles I picked up from the recyclers. Just because you wash them, doesn't mean they aren't free of wild yeasts. Once I washed them with PBW they are good to go now.

Not a cleaning issue. I work in biotech and over do the cleaning and sanitizing. I'm thinking maybe some hop debris was the cause.

they might just not be ready "settling" or you picked the ones that were from the bottom of the fermenter and had some extra trub?

I noticed that you can get these mini"gushers" if you don't cool the beer at least 3-5 days

I'm thinking maybe some hop debris was the cause.

That could be it. Before I started crashing with gelatin I regularly had excess head with my hoppy brews. Dry hopping seemed to be the main culprit. The bigger the dry hop, the bigger the head. Now I crash for 24 hours and then add gelatin for 48 hours before bottling. Works great.

Latest posts

Back