6gal turkey pot and burner for $34

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Labratbrew

Reaction score
Found it at Walmart...
Only setback in my opinion is the timer that shuts off the gas after 15mins....
Should I buy it anyways?!
Im leaning towards yes!

brewser7 said:
What size batches do you want to do?

Well I want to have the ability to brew a 10 gallon batch... I already have one of the (the exact model of burner and turkey pot.) As it wad a xmas present...

My main concern would be the size of the pot but if you've already been using one then you know what you are getting yourself into. You would need something larger if you were doing a "bigger" beer that you have to boil down.

I think there is a way to disable, or at least bypass, that timer if you go this route. Iirc there is a thread here on HBT about it. You may try doing a search

Good luck!

I have a turkey fryer with a timer that is a rotating knob located close to the ground. I always just tighten an adjustable wrench around the knob and allow it to wedge itself in the ground. That stops it.

By the way that sounds like a great deal. You wont be able to do 5 gal brews but the price is great.

You can also override the timer with a single zip tie. That's a pretty good deal, bit a 10-15 gallon pot would be a lot more reasonable. One gallon isn't much headspace for a 5 gallon batch.

truebe said:
I have a turkey fryer with a timer that is a rotating knob located close to the ground. I always just tighten an adjustable wrench around the knob and allow it to wedge itself in the ground. That stops it.

By the way that sounds like a great deal. You wont be able to do 5 gal brews but the price is great.

I won't be able to do 5 gallon batches with a 6 gallon turkey pot?

bigbeergeek said:
You can also override the timer with a single zip tie. That's a pretty good deal, bit a 10-15 gallon pot would be a lot more reasonable. One gallon isn't much headspace for a 5 gallon batch.

Agreed.

I won't be able to do 5 gallon batches with a 6 gallon turkey pot?

Can you? Yes.
Would I recommend it? Not at all

As a previous person said, 1 gallon of head space is not very much especially when you take into account the boil off during your boil. You'll have to start with more than 5 gallons if you want to end with 5 gallons. You would need keep an eye on the boil constantly to prevent a boil over.

I have a 7 gallon pot and had a bad boil over when I ran into the house for 2 minutes. Somehow the wort knows when you are not paying attention to it!! I moved up to a 10 gallon pot and it is MUCH easier!

Personally, I wouldn't do a 5 gallon batch in a 6 gallon pot. I would limit it to 3 to 4 at most. I'm still new to brewing, but I've had enough bad experiences with my 7 gallon pot to encourage you to not do a 5gal batch in a 6gal pot.

:mug:

Minor dissenting voice here: Can you do a 5 gallon batch in a 6 gallon turkey pot? Not without topping off after the boil.

In a 60 minute boil, you're going to boil off a gallon, give or take a quart, so you need to start with 6 gallons or so to finish up with 5. Plus, wort expands a little bit (about 4%) at boiling temperatures. So you're guaranteeing yourself boil-overs. Now, you could boil 4.5 to 5 gallons or so, which would leave you sufficient head space to avoid boil overs, and top off after the boil. That'd work, and leave very minimal impact to things like hop utilization.

As far as that timer, it's very easy to take that right out of the picture. Open up the box (remove a couple screws), disconnect the 2 wires connecting to the timer, then attach them directly to eachother. No more timer, done!

Yeah I really don't see any way to make a 5 gallon batch work. You'd start off the boil with the wort at the brim. Would be a guaranteed mess every time.

I ended up buying it anyways.. just couldn't pass it up for 34 bucks. I figure I can use the turkey pot and burner to heat up the sparge water and the other turkery pot will be at the bottom of my two tiered brew stand waiting for the delicious wort.

Hey all, I have a question regarding these and as this seems pretty much wrapped up I figured it would be easier to post here rather than start a new thread; my apologies if I was wrong.

I bought a similar 30 gallon Turkey Fryer so I can try to move my brewing outdoors and off my cooktop stove (which doesn't work very well of course).

When I got it all set up and went to season the aluminum pot, I ended up with this:

2012-03-18_12-54-33_HDR.jpg

Is this normal? I didn't expect quite that drastic a change :confused:

In case it is tough to tell; the outside of the pot is clean, new aluminum as it was bought. The inside up to where the waterline is is now quite darkened, except the bottom of the pot?

Thanks all!

hmmm very intersting. it definately darkens but I don't know if thats your camera or perhaps something with the nature of the water you boiled with that causes it. That is Much darker than my aluminum pot.

Labratbrew said:
I ended up buying it anyways.. just couldn't pass it up for 34 bucks. I figure I can use the turkey pot and burner to heat up the sparge water and the other turkery pot will be at the bottom of my two tiered brew stand waiting for the delicious wort.

When/If you ever upgrade to larger pots you can always keep using the same burner. $34 is a pretty good deal!

I have something very similar and I think the kettle is 7 gal. As far as the automatic shut off setting....only barely open the propane tank and work the rest of the way with the dial(mines red) that comes off the tank connecting to the burner. I do it this way and have never had it shut off on me. If youd really like you can always remove the sensor on it so it cant shut off without you doing it yourself. Id buy it I like mine for brewing and turkey frying.

And that discoloration on the pot looks normal. Its the aluminum oxidizing from being heated. I put mine in my oven for 20-30 mins before I boil my wort, I read its supposed to help prevent the kettle from contributing metallic flavors. Theres stuff here on the forum about it.

I use the 30qt kettle and start with 6 gallons and haven't had a real boil over yet. If you're watching the temp, as it comes to a boil, turn down your heat and just maintain the boil. It takes a bit of stiring for a minute or so, then it's just fine. I get my 60 minute boil, a constant steady boil, without boilover.

The color inside the alum pot is normal, should be there.

Back