61 degrees?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghank15

Reaction score
Is an ambient 61 degrees too cold to do an ale? I know that the temperature inside the carboy is usually 5-10 degrees warmer, which would put the temperature inside at the right temp.

I am a bit worried that 61 may be too low to get things going though.

I do understand that there are certain yeast strains, such as the California Common strain, that does well in the low 60's, however I had other brews that I wanted to do while it was still a bit warm.

Thanks for any info!:mug:

I wanted to remake an amber that I made in the spring.

recipe originally went like this.

6.6 lbs liquid LME
1LB 60L crystal
1/4 LB Caramunich 1
2 oz Cascade (1 oz bittering, 1/2 oz at 7 and 1/2 oz at flameout)
WLP009 with starter.

turned out beautifully malty. I just ran out and have been craving it, so I would really like to make it. I was considering doing it with WLP001 to see how much the yeast made a difference, perhaps I could use the California Common yeast.

Whatever I decide to do, am I correct in assuming that 61 may be a bit too low, or will the increase in temperature during fermentation make the room temp ok for the brew?

I would say it's a touch too low, but nothing catastrophic. You'll have a longer lag time to start, but once that puppy starts bubbling, the ambient temp will be fine.

on the majority of my ales I have my fermentation chamber set to 62 degrees. As long as your pitching the proper amount of yeast I don't see a problem.

I have my fermentation chamber set to 62 and I use Notty and s-05 for the majority of my ales. I've never had a problem.

Eh, you'll be fine. With my programmable thermostat, ambient temps drop way below that and my ales (with 1056) come out great.

Back