60min Mash vs 90min Mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imperialipa

Reaction score
I have been brewing alot of recipies from the 250 best clone. Some say to mash 90 min. some say to mash 60 min. Some dont tell you a mash time at all...

So when is it advantageous to mash for 90 min?

When is it advantageous to mash at 60 min?

Any rule of thumb suggestion you guys can give me?

I would "think" that higher gravity beers would benefit from a longer mash to get the most sugar conversion possbile but maybe thats a misnomer.

I noticed that my 90 min BIAB mashes always ferment very dry, like below 1.010 regardles of a mash temperature and yeast. This may be beneficial for some beers but out of style for others.

The enzymes work slower at lower temps and require more time. At higher temps the enzymes work faster and you get conversion in less time.

I say anything under 150F you should mash for 90 min. Over 150F you should use 60 min. Over 160F you could probably do in 45 min.

Does that make sense?

That does.... So looks like alot of the 150 degree clones are 90 min and the higher temp ones are 60...

I was planning on doing a Pliney the Elder IPA clone it says 152 so I wouldimagine 60 min should do it.

90 minutes with a BIAB will result in more heat loss overall, that's probably why you're getting a lower FG.

M_C
I noticed that my 90 min BIAB mashes always ferment very dry, like below 1.010 regardles of a mash temperature and yeast. This may be beneficial for some beers but out of style for others.

Mash length related to enzyme activity... as determined by mash temperature. Makes sense. I never would have thought of that. Another reason for extended mash time might be grainbills containing high percentages of adjuncts (like flaked wheat in a wit, for example). Since these grains contain no enzymes of their own, a longer mash may be required to effectively convert the available starches.

90 minutes with a BIAB will result in more heat loss overall, that's probably why you're getting a lower FG.

M_C

I lose 2F at the most during 90 min mash with my set-up, 1F or none at all during 60 min without adding any additional water

_MG_3659.jpg

My most recent recipe called for a 45 minute mash at 150 degrees...it was the Lagunitas little sumpin sumpin ale from CYBI...the recipe did have about 50% wheat malts. Is it unusual to have such a short mash at this low temperature?

My efficiency was low (just under 60% and I missed my target OG by ~10 points) but I attributed that to it being my very first AG batch - I don't think I stirred well enough and I had trouble with inconsistent thermometer readings...I also had a lot of leftover sparge water in the MLT after I collected my target volume.

My most recent recipe called for a 45 minute mash at 150 degrees...it was the Lagunitas little sumpin sumpin ale from CYBI...the recipe did have about 50% wheat malts. Is it unusual to have such a short mash at this low temperature?

My efficiency was low (just under 60% and I missed my target OG by ~10 points) but I attributed that to it being my very first AG batch - I don't think I stirred well enough and I had trouble with inconsistent thermometer readings...I also had a lot of leftover sparge water in the MLT after I collected my target volume.

Single infusion at 150? I would go longer like 75 - 90 mins. Less time may have effected your efficiency.

Did you use this recipe? https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/can-you-brew-recipe-lagunitas-little-sumpin-sumpin-218399/

He doesn't mention mash time or any other rest temps.

You can always do an iodine test for conversion, you know. It won't tell you the difference in fermentability that you can expect between a 60 and 90 minute mash, but I often don't get conversion in 60 minutes. I usually wait until I get no iodine reaction, then decoct for a mashout, which puts me at 90 min +.

I actually used this recipe and I listened to the radio show to confirm it - still I am not sure if it was right. Thanks for the tip on the iodine test - that sounds like a good idea. Next time I'm also planning to use calibrated thermometers, stir more thoroughly (and maybe get a real mash paddle instead of my plastic spoon), and try to measure my sparge water volume better so I don't leave so much undrained. Need a bigger boil kettle too!

I wouldn't say they are the be all end all, but iodine tests are very helpful to learn about mashing. I am a pretty new brewer and I'm sure that I would have a poorer understanding of efficiency and all the rest if I blindly mashed for 60 min on the dot.

Back