60 min hopping ... Or less?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bfgcdub

Reaction score
I am currently brewing up Midwest's Raspberry Red Ale. I am at the point where it says to add 1oz Cascade and boil for 60 minutes for optimum hop utilization. I keyed in on the word optimum. Would less time be ok? Would less time = less bitter? I know that the recipe is designed to balance the malt with the bitter, but I don't like bitter beers.

Shorter boil time = less bitterness. You can find an online brew calculator to determine the actual levels.

He's getting 1 ounce of cascades in the kit, so if he must reduce the bitterness, using them all later is probably the way (unless he has another use for a small amount of Cascades).

BTW, as is, the recipe is ~20 IBUs. If added at 45 rather than 60, it looks like it knocks it down to ~17 IBUs. That's not much.

The recipe called for 1oz cascade for 60 minutes and 1 oz Fuggles for 2 minutes. Which apparently gives about 38 IBUs according to Midwest. I decided that since this was my first ever brew that I would just follow the recipe since I don't really know much yet. Based on the hydrometer sample I think this will end up more bitter that I prefer but only time will tell.

A secondary/related question is: will a beer taste more bitter after fermentation since much of the sugar will be converted to alcohol? As I said, the sample was bitter but not beyond my bitterness tolerance, I'm just curious if the beer will taste more bitter after the sugar is gone.

I know, I know, RDWDAHB! :)

Looks like a pretty low bitterness recipe, I'd stick with the 1 oz for :60 and see how it turns out. That said, the other posts answered your questions about hop utilization. It's a curve that peaks around :60, and then flattens out. That's why so many recipes use a :60 hop addition...

The fuggles might have added 1 unit of bitterness. It takes boiling and time to extract the bitterness from hops. The two minute addition was mostly for aroma.

Your beer should be less bitter after it ferments and conditions.

In my experience, I use more hops for 45 mins rather than the traditional 60 mins. For me I get the same IBUs but with less bitterness. My IPAs are full of flavor and aroma but less bitter, just the way I like them

Enjoy
Rick

... In my experience, I use more hops for 45 mins rather than the traditional 60 mins. For me I get the same IBUs but with less bitterness. My IPAs are full of flavor and aroma but less bitter, just the way I like them

Enjoy
Rick

You get the same International Bitterness Units with less bitterness?

I am currently brewing up Midwest's Raspberry Red Ale. I am at the point where it says to add 1oz Cascade and boil for 60 minutes for optimum hop utilization. I keyed in on the word optimum. Would less time be ok? Would less time = less bitter? I know that the recipe is designed to balance the malt with the bitter, but I don't like bitter beers.

My experience is that as I continue to brew and try different recipes I've come to like beers that are slightly more bitter. I still don't care for any of the IPA's I've had but pale ales with more bittering than what your kit calls for do a great job of quenching my thirst on a hot day.

He's getting 1 ounce of cascades in the kit, so if he must reduce the bitterness, using them all later is probably the way (unless he has another use for a small amount of Cascades).

BTW, as is, the recipe is ~20 IBUs. If added at 45 rather than 60, it looks like it knocks it down to ~17 IBUs. That's not much.

could anyone tell me why my homebrew beer is foaming at airlock???? Pls

could anyone tell me why my homebrew beer is foaming at airlock???? Pls

Are you saying the krausen is coming through the airlock?
Could be a couple of basic reasons; Fermentor is to small for the batch size. Fermentation temperature to high leading to overly aggressive fermentation.

Ok so is over aggressive fermentation a bad thing??? Temp was 27.4 °c at yeast adding but also added twenty five litres to the carboy...

No,it's not a bad thing at all. It can also happen with a healthy yeast pitch That causes a more aggressive initial fermentation. Using a blow off rig till initial fermentation is done will alleviate some messes. And 27.4C is too high for a ferment temp. That equals 81.32F. Get the temp down to 18-20C for a better ferment temp range.

Back