60 Degrees too Cold for WLP001?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mainer28

Reaction score
Does anyone know if 60 degrees is too cold for WLP001? I pitched 12 hours ago at 72 and put in the cellar, so far its been pretty quiet.

Thanks,
Mainer.

I had a batch of US-05 running at 55 degrees beer temperature, even had blow off. Granted this was in a water/ice bath so the temp was not that stable, and I can definitely get some diacetyl in the beer when I drink it now. I don't recommend it without a diacetyl rest :)

I regularly ferment WLP001 at 62 degrees. Depending on your recipe/how much yeast you pitched you should be fine. But if you had a 1.070 wort and only pitched 1 vile, no starter, couple that with low temps, that will slow thigs down a bit.

According to White Labs site, optimum range is 68-73, so it does seem to be a tad cold.

There 400 is listed at about the same range. It dropped to 55 one night and I thought the yeast would drop. Didn't. Did the second batch at 55 for the entire time and it came out better than the first. So, don't put too much stock in the numbers on the site.

I had the same question the other day. I went to the White Labs web site & listened to Chris White's audio about WLP001. He says "some brewers will ferment it at 65 or even in the high 50's."

Thanks all. It is beginning to bubble now at about 28 hours later. I used one vial with a weak AG wort of 1.045.

I am custom to my summer cellar of 76 and using water baths to cool the temp. and having strong and early fermentations.

Thanks again,

Mainer.

I actually just emailed white labs about that here's what I got in reponse

"Yes, you can certainly ferment a beer with WLP001 at 62F. Just keep in
mind that the lag phase and the fermentation will take a bit longer at the
lower temperature, so be patient with it and it should do fine."

"Fermenting at lower temperatures will actually reduce the ester production and provide a cleaner fermentation profile, so you shouldn't have to worry about any off flavors, especially with the WLP001 which is such a neutral fermenter anyway."

I have fermented 001 at 60-62 several times. Turns out great, just takes a little longer.

Eric

Just a quick follow up. 13 days later, the FG is 1.008 and the is taste clean.

Mainer28

Was about to post on this same topic!

My winter ale (1.081 OG) has been fermenting at 65 for 2 weeks. I really want to get another batch going but my primary is a little busy.

Latest posts

Back