60 Amp Breakers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JVAL21

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
It might just be the times we are living in but did anyone else have a hard time finding the 60 AMP GFCI Circuit Breaker? I cant find a 60 AMP GFCI Square D breaker anywhere. The one i found on Amazon was defective, and it kept tripping when i would turn on the brand new brew panel. So my electrician was troubleshooting to make sure he didnt mess up on his end so he put in a regular 60 Amp breaker and the panel turned right on. I hate messing with electrical, that is one of the few things I wont do DIY, but what is the difference between GFI and GFCI. I found a QO260GFI Square D on a site called Super Breakers.com Everyone keeps saying i need to install the GFCI. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Another option is getting a regular (60A) breaker for your service panel and a Spa panel installed at your brew location. But you'll need to hire the $$$ electrician again. ;)

GFCI and GFI are the same thing. I have found if my experiences a GFCI circuit doesn't like certain things, like larger appliances and USB outlets so if you have anything like that on the circuit it might be your issues.

I would talk with your electrician to see what code in your area is, but for me the cheapest solution was a 60amp breaker in my main panel to a spa disconnect box which came with the GFCI breaker. If I remember correctly total cost was 50 or 60 bucks, but I did it all myself.

covid is interrupting the supply chain for circuit breakers, even at the residential level, can explain the trouble finding certain types of breakers.

gfci is the nec term but gfi is synonymous. you do want to be careful though and not get an epd or similar class b/equipment ground fault protection circuit breaker. you won't find these at the big box stores but they are available on amazon/ebay. price alone should be a red flag but while these type of circuit breakers do offer ground fault protection, they do not trip at the same ground fault current level you would need for personal protections. epd breakers trip at around 30 milliamps and are design to protect equipment, not people. one of the more common applications for these type of circuit breakers are resistivity heating cables for freeze protection of pipes or similar. gfci/gfi circuit breakers are class a protective devices and trip at around 5 millamp of ground fault current.

a difference of milliamps may not seem like much but 5 ma is likely just a slight shock. up to 15 ma or so and it becomes painful, possibly leading to loss of muscle control. above 18 ma or so and a person can't let go of the electrified item they are grasping, can possibly have heart issues and it just gets worse the higher the current gets. up to 30 ma and good chance of injury, defibrillation or even death.

I do have 2 60 amp square D gfci breakers im willing to sell if your interested. I accidentally purchased them for my brewpub I I should say my electrician accidentally told be to get the wrong type. One is new in the box and the other was purchased as new without packaging from ebay.

Siemans sells one
Even though they typically can physically work, and will in most cases be safe, it is still recommended to use the same breaker as the manufacturer of the panel - if anything does happen, and it is found to have a breaker that is not on the approved list, you would most likely be liable for any damages.

Even though they typically can physically work, and will in most cases be safe, it is still recommended to use the same breaker as the manufacturer of the panel - if anything does happen, and it is found to have a breaker that is not on the approved list, you would most likely be liable for any damages.
I could be wrong here but if anything were to happen The same insurance people that could give him grief over breaker branding and not being on approved lists due to sales and politics despite physical differences or lack thereof would be the same type of people that would find him liable for using a homemade non "approved" non UL listed or certified electronic device such as whatever 240v control panel he plans to run... Most of the circuit breakers sold at the hardware stores such as lowes or home depot are often not used in a panel of the same make... Just saying.

Latest posts

Back