60 90 120?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just an FYI - the 120 is very malty. Don't expect a big hop profile. It is quite good though.

interesting, to contiuouly hop, does that mean to keep putting hops in or just the hops were in the wort for the whole time it was boiling

i've seen some picture threads where the brewer took the total weight of the hops/pellets, put them in a food processor, and separated them ground up. looks like it would be easier

Just an FYI - the 120 is very malty. Don't expect a big hop profile. It is quite good though.

It's hoppier than you think it is. They dry-hop it for months and it's well above 100 IBUs (the approximate limit of most people's ability to discern an increase in bitterness). But because it has that balancing malt, the bitterness is percieved differently. Same way that nobody realizes that the 90min is 90IBUs (+/- a little) and 9%ABV simply because it's so balanced.*

Duvel, for example, is only about 30 IBUs but because it's so dry, you think it's much more.

I'll "continuously hop" my pale ales, IPAs and such just during the last 15-20 minutes. Continuous hopping the whole time seems a bit wasteful, since boiling hops for more than 20 minutes takes away most of the flavor and aroma you'd get anyhow... and so why not use them during the full boil for maximum extraction?

I just take a handful of pellets and drop one or two in at a time for the 15-20 minutes. I also make sure to have the last of them in for at least 2 minutes because otherwise you're hardly getting anything out at all. If I want more aroma than that gets me, I'll dry-hop.

One last thing - If I'm going to "continuously hop" a beer, I generally try to stick with one type of hops for flavor and aroma (perhaps a different dry hop, though). This way you get a more "pure" profile and you get to see one hop do everything it can. Just my choice, but I like the results.

*EDIT: Forgot to add, DFH only brews 120min about twice a year. So depending upon when you buy it, that bottle can be pretty old. There's no worries about spoilage, of course, but the hop profile does mellow significantly with age. There are different opinions on whether you should cellar 120 or drink it fresh but I'm of the opinion that it's at its best with that very fresh, vibrant hop flavor and aroma. I've had it on tap at the brewpub and I think I certainly prefer that serving method best. Anyhow, just putting that out there.

90 is my favorite. 120 is a bit sweet and 60 tastes super hoppy. I like the 9% as opposed to the expensive 20% sweet 120 or the 6% 60 min. I love em all in their own way. 90 is my friday after work drink 120 is a once a month or on special occasion drink. 60 is when im broke and cant justify 4 beers at 9% over 6 beers at 6% lol

I always thought it was just a reference to the IBU's since 60 Minute is 60 IBU's and 90 Minute is 90 IBU's, etc. Interesting how the IBU's are the same as the boil time.

I recently tried the 90 and was not that impressed. It's good beer, no doubt, but I prefer several other IPAs for flavor. Still have to try the 120 though.

Actually, there was an article about the DFH brewer in The New Yorker about 2 months back, they said he used an old rumbling hockey table game to "continuously" add hops to the wort. Brilliant!

I have to say the 90 is my favorite IPA. The balance is so refined, and I typicaly can't drink American IPA's, as the citrucy character seems to meses up my stomach.

I hope to one day have a 120, but Ohio thinks Beer that strong will kill you or something.

I had never tried the 120 until today. I hit the local store and they had all three IPAs. The 60 was $8.99 for a six pack. The 90 was 6.99 for a four pack and the 120 was $7.99 per bottle. I decided to do a tasting. Three of us started with the 60 and we worked our way up to the 120. The general consensus was that the 90 was definitely the best of the lot. It had just enough bite to let you know you were drinking an extreme IPA. The 60 was not as hoppy but very smooth. The 120 was to say the least different. It was much sweeter than the other two with a real hoppy kick to it. We all agreed that the 90 was the winner of the 3 but would drink 60 at any time. As for the 120 my personal opinion was that I definitely could not drink it on a regular basis but a bottle once in a while for a change of pace would be fine.

i've seen some picture threads where the brewer took the total weight of the hops/pellets, put them in a food processor, and separated them ground up. looks like it would be easier

I just tried this with my 90 min IPA. During the boil, the aroma was amazing if you like a very hoppy brew. It has been in the secondary for just about 1 week now, shooting for 2 then bottle condition for 2-4 weeks and crack one to enjoy.

Good prices there for the 120 and the 90, hopefully the place keeps it at that all the time. It is well worth the purchase when your out of home brew :cross:

I was surprised about the price of the 120 myself. It was marked as $9.99 on the shelf but when it rang up it rang up as $7.99. I did not complain. I chalked it up to someone putting the wrng price in the computer. I plan on going back and picking up a few bottles and let them age for 6-9 months.

I am very jealous of the $6.99 a 4-pack. I took down 8 of those this past week. Its $8.99 a 4er down here in NC. I was able to have the 120 on tap and I thought it was marvelous. I have a bottle that is about 1 year old. I am going to crack that open on my birthday in 5 days. But I have to agree that the 60 is less balanced than the 90. So IMO, the 90 is the best of the 3.

I had never tried the 120 until today. I hit the local store and they had all three IPAs. The 60 was $8.99 for a six pack. The 90 was 6.99 for a four pack and the 120 was $7.99 per bottle.

6.99 for a four pack of 90 min????? OMG where? Its always 9.99 a 4 pack for me! Id buy em out.

Back