6-Row Gift

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silentp

Reaction score
So my sister's boyfriend lives on a family farm. As a thoughtful gift, he gave me a 5 gallon bucket of barley (already crushed and everything) to make a beer with. Unfortunately, this bucket was 6-row. Since I'm not really interested in brewing a Bud Light clone, I am curious to hear ideas of what I could brew. I am only a year into brewing, so this may be a good chance to experiment with free grains... Any ideas are appreciated! Thanks!

Maybe something like a cream ale... You could also do any sort of high-adjunct beer, since 6-row's best feature is its high diastatic power.

Yeah, sounds like feed barley. The overwhelming majority of 6-row is unmalted animal feed. I'd thank him, hand him a beer, and also hand him the bucket back. :)

If it's malted, you can use it just like you would 2-row. They are similar, but 6 Row has more husk material and usually a little higher diastatic power.

If it's unmalted, you need to mash it with a malt that has enough diastatic power to convert itself and adjuncts. You could use it as a portion of your base malt. You could use it in a sour beer where higher starch content would be welcome. You could also eat it or feed it to your livestock.

Maybe something like a cream ale... You could also do any sort of high-adjunct beer, since 6-row's best feature is its high diastatic power.

What would be a good examples of a high-adjunct beer? Fairly new to writing my own recipes with several failures thus far..

What would be a good examples of a high-adjunct beer? Fairly new to writing my own recipes with several failures thus far..

If that's the case, I'd say doing a straight ahead wheat beer with 60% 6-row and 40% unmalted wheat is your best bet (don't overcomplicate it!). From there you can decide how to shape the rest of your beer. Here are some ideas:

A) You could go hoppy and use lots of citrusy hops (Amarillo would be a great choice, as would Cascade, Centennial, etc. Mandarina Bavaria would be fantastic, too, as it is more orange-y than grapefruit)
---in which case---
B) You would probably then want to use a neutral yeast like wlp001/wy1056

OR

C) You could go classic and use noble hops for about 15 ibus, then add orange peel and coriander near the end of the boil
---in which case---
D) Your yeast choice could have more impact on the beer. WY1010 (American Wheat) will give you a totally different beer than WLP400 (Belgian Wit). You could look around and see which type of yeast sounds like what you're going for. FWIW, one of the best wheat beers I ever made was done following this blueprint and fermenting with WY1007 German Ale yeast.

Back