6" or 10" banjo burner for keggle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

austinb

Reaction score
So after a discussion in a previous thread I've decided its time to upgrade from my cheapo turkey fryer burner to a banjo style burner. This is to help eliminate the problem of soot on the bottom of the pot and also because I've heard the banjos are more efficient and use less propane.

I see that agrisupply has a 6" banjo burner for $13 or a 10" for $32.50. My question is for 10-11 gallon batches do I really need more than the 6" burner? Has anyone timed how long it takes to bring a 10 gal batch to a boil with the 6" burner? I would definitely would prefer the cheaper burner as long as it doesn't take 40 minutes to reach mash temp and another 40 minutes to boil because I also don't want to extend my brew days significantly to save a few bucks.

I have the 10 inch burners on my keggles andit seems like overkill, i cant really turn them up much past 1/2 way b/c the flames start to come arojnd the sides of the keggle, i have melted 2 of the rubber covers on my valves b/c of flames going everywhere. When i changed to a lower psi regulator thT seemed to help a little but still way more power than i need.

Back