6 months in ferm

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beek

Reaction score
I made a stout from a kit in July. Then life happened and I never got around to bottling it or anything. It's just been sitting there on the old yeast and stuff. Do you guys think it's still good to go or should I just dump it and start over?

Only your taste will tell you so take a sample, if it tastes fine then package it. You may want to add a little yeast since it's been sitting so long to properly carbonate though.

No. Haven't even opened it up. Just wondering what you guys thought first.

I was worried of something very similar, but some intelligent people on this forum told me that anything under a year is fine to keep in the primary.

What temperature was it kept at?

Only your taste will tell you so take a sample, if it tastes fine then package it. You may want to add a little yeast since it's been sitting so long to properly carbonate though.

Agreed! Actually, even if its a little off (not infected) I would say you should still bottle it and see what it becomes after a couple more mores.

I brewed an Irish stout and promptly forgot about it for about six months. At that point, I kegged it. Probably the best stout I've ever made!

Neil

Stouts and other dark beers age really well, as long as it was not jostled while in the fermenter and was under CO2 the entire time you should have a great beer.

Tried it. It had soured up really bad. It was so terrible. Not going to waste my time bottling it. Maybe if I had a legging system I would do it just to see. But I don't so I won't. Thanks for your help guys.

Was it in a bucket? I don't think buckets have a good enough seal for long term storage like that.

Back