6 gallon white wine kit in 6.5 gallon carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stickyfinger

Reaction score
Hey, I am doing my first white wine kit. It is a 6 gallon kit. I was hoping to ferment it in a 6.5 gallon glass carboy so I can get it going soon. Is ~0.5 gallons enough room or will it blow off? If it will blow off, I'll just wait until by Fermonster is free.

you may be ok, but you’ll be safer if you had a smaller carboy to possibly keep some of the batch separate in and recombine after racking. Honestly even a growler/Demijon or just to keep some in separate. You can even just keep some of the juice in the fridge (before adding the yeast) until the most of the activity slows down then add it back in.

In my experience... wine doesn’t usually need much head space. I do kits in a carboy. Never had to worry. Other wines I make I start in a 8 gallon bucket. Just cove loosely with a towel or the lid not snapped down.
If it were me I’d go for it. It needs to stirred and degassed so you should be good to go.

thats what i was thinking. Awesome!

In my experience... wine doesn’t usually need much head space. I do kits in a carboy. Never had to worry. Other wines I make I start in a 8 gallon bucket. Just cove loosely with a towel or the lid not snapped down.
If it were me I’d go for it. It needs to stirred and degassed so you should be good to go.

Latest posts

Back