6.5 Gal carboy with screw top - ok for primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MurderMittenBrewing

Reaction score
I just picked up a 6.5 gallon carboy for cheap, but it has a screw top (see the pic below). It fits a #7.5 stopper and seems to be solid. Is there any reason that this type of carboy wouldn't be ok for use as a primary?

6.5 gallon carboy

It's just fine...those who prefer glass (not me!) would consider it ideal! I used to have one just like it.

Just inspect it carefully for cracks before use. Handle it gently, avoid thermal or physical shock and you'll be cool.

Thanks, BlindLemonLars. What about that type of carboy makes it preferable over a regular carboy? Or just that the 6.5 gallon size makes a good primary?

Thanks, BlindLemonLars. What about that type of carboy makes it preferable over a regular carboy? Or just that the 6.5 gallon size makes a good primary?

Just the size...it provides more headroom for a 5 gallon batch. If fermenting in a 6 gallon carboy (or certainly a 5 gallon one!) you're more likely to need a blow-off tube, rather than a simple airlock.

I use 6 gallon Better Bottles for primaries, and it would be nice if they were 6.5 or even 7 gallons. With big beers, I add a few drops of Ferm-Cap to prevent blow-off.

BTW - the 6.5 with screwtop is called an acid carboy. I have one and always use it for those batches where I know the yeast will be a little "overactive"

BTW - the 6.5 with screwtop is called an acid carboy. I have one and always use it for those batches where I know the yeast will be a little "overactive"

Good info, thanks! Do you know if they make caps that screw onto the top that will fit an airlock?

you can get caps that fit over the top that will fit an airlock, but a stopper works just fine and i think most probably just do that.

Every 6.5 acid carboy that I owe has a screw top.... I would recommend using a blowoff tube... that extra 1.5gals of airspace is not quiet enough room for some beers.

Back