5l keg. Flat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rburnham82

Reaction score
Hi all.
New to brewing. I've made a 2 batches of coopers lager, 1 was ditched as tasted awful due to a few mistakes, 2and batch went really well. Bottling works well but I also tried the 5l party keg system from brewferm, however when using the party tap it came out flat. Initially it was very frothy and I poured away 2 pints of foam then it was just flat lager. Any help would be appreciated to know what I'm doing wrong, otherwise I'll stick to bottles.
I think I used 4 or 5 carbonation drops per keg. Should I have done anything else. I literally just filled the keg leaving a inch from the top, chucked the carbonation drops in and popped the bung in.

When you dispense from the keg, I assume that doesn't have c02 to replace the gas that was lost? If so, it's like a cask that won't be carbonated once a few pours have happened.

Think of it like a soda that's been opened. Once the first few glasses are poured, you can have carbonation for a day or so, but then due to the laws of physics, it goes flat. I can't picture the 5L keg you have, but if you tapped it and had a few, unless you filled it with c02 to replace the space gone by the beer you poured, it would seek equilibrium and go flat. I would guess a party keg is meant for short term use, but I don't know for sure since I don't know what that brewferm keg is.

If you do have co2 cartridges to replace the lost volume, it should stay carbonated for at least a week or so, assuming you keep it charged.

Hi thanks for replying. When I say flat I don't mean after an amount of time I mean first couple of pints are just froth then every pint after is flat, so not a case of going back to the keg later and it be flat. The tap has a co2 cartridge in the handle.
Kit I bought is this
https://www.brewuk.co.uk/mini-keg-starter-kit.html
It says about priming a keg but I used carbonation drops instead, is this wrong.

as the keg is flat could I pour it into bottles and stick carbonation drops in and leave for a week or so, would that save it or is this stuff gone.

I condition in a keg,and they need 2-3 weeks at room temp to make the CO2 then into the kegerator for another week or so. After the beer is conditioned it needs cold temps to get the CO2 into solution.

So can someone give me a complete idiot guide to filling 5l kegs please......
I'm mainly doing the coopers lager kits

Back