5KW Induction hob and 20 Gallon SSB stuck @ 98c/208F

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suitbrewing

Reaction score
I recently bit the bullet on a 20 gallon SSB kettle and a 5kw induction hob. I spent a large sum on this setup and I am hoping that it will take my brewing forward both in terms of practicality, volume and quality.

I did a test with water before my first batch with the new setup.
I loaded the pot with 65L/17gallon of 25c/77F water and tried to boil it.

The process was reasonably efficient. The 70c (158F) to boil, boil up (which represent the realistic brewing scenario) happened in 40min which is fair for such a large load. If I start to heat while sparging I should be able to heat to boil in no more than 30 min.

The only issue is that when I reached boil and removed the lid, what was a rapid boil turned into a "lazy" boil. I took several temp readings and all them where in the 98c region (208F).

I appreciate that a vigorous boil has a number of benefits, such as clarity, getting rid of DMS etc. Am I missing out on those by being stuck @ 98c/208F during the entire boil process???

Do I have any options??

As long as you have steam bubbles forming, you are boiling. As soon as the steam bubble forms, it moves up and away from the heat source and is replaced by cooler, denser fluid. Therefore, in a non-pressurized system, don't be surprised by a temperature below the boiling point, even as you watch it boil.

Also, the open-air boiling temp is dependent on atmospheric pressure, not altitude. For that reason, you may boil above or below 212°F or 100°C, even at sea level, depending on what a barometer says that day.

Bottom line: Judge your boil by appearance rather than thermometer indication.

You don't need a vigorous boil to get rid of DMS. A gentle boil is more than adequate. What is important is that you have a way for steam to escape. It is especially important for the boil vessel to be open after the boil, during whirlpooling, hop stands, and intial cooling down to below 160°F (70°C.) So that DMS formed late can all escape.

http://www.milkthefunk.com/wiki/Dimethyl_Sulfide

Brew on :mug:

Calibrated thermometer?
Looking at the topology of Greater Nicosia it looks like 10 miles north of the city are some fairly decent mountains.
If the OP is up there around 2000 feet the 98°C might make sense...

Cheers!

Back