5500w / 220v Hot Water Element - wired for 120v

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Murph69

Reaction score
My 2000w / 120v hot water element in my HLT finally died after 100s of brew sessions. So, I had a brand new in the package 5500w / 220v kicking around from when I lived overseas.

In need of brewing, I replaced this today - and when I plugged it into my Inkbird Temperature Controller - immediatly I saw sparks followed by smoke.

It's my understanding that these are not polarity specific and hooked to 120v, the wattage will be cut in half ?

So I pulled my Temperature Controller box apart to inspect, and yup - it was fried. So then, I decided to work this manually, plug/unlug till desired temps are reached. And, as soon as I plugged it in, a 15amp fuse popped.

I reset the fuse, and tried again - but this time, I flipped the plug over (reverse polarity), and it worked - can anyone explain this ?

Cheers,
James

Sounds like the element might be defective. Do you have a multimeter? If so, measure between the two power connections of the element. It should measure about 10.5 ohms. If it is less than that, then you have a defective element. Also, check the resistance between each power connection and the element body. These should read open. If not, then you have a shorted element.

If you don't have a multimeter, get one. You can't troubleshoot an electric brewing system without one.

Brew on :mug:

I figured it out - a screw somehow ended up under the cover for the wire connections on the element 🙄

Cold side still works, it will be per entry designated to keepIng my fermentations at the correct temps

Back