55 gallon drum of malted barley?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

head

Reaction score
I've found someone selling 2 55 gallon drums of malted barley for $100 each. I was wondering if that's worth it.
Any thoughts?
Thanks.

LME or DME or all grain - Given the forum, I'm guessing all grain. I know that a 55gallon drum of LME goes for like 600lb at $3-4/lb of DME those would be well $2k/ drum. BUT this is grain. So how much does it weigh - and can you use the malted barley to brew (I think yes, but I'm an extract guy who likes to solve easy math problems) - Unfortunatly they are usually sold by 55lb. Or 2000 lb bags (see briess.com) If my cu inch to gallon conversion is correct, then 9 of those drums woudl be 1 briess bag - so 2000/9=about 220lb. or $.22/lb of grain that seems like a deal to me, but again I don't buy grain.

Of course this might not hold if some of the grain is bad.

Also of note, I went to briess.com and they sell 'mini bulk' bags that are 39"by 48" by 62"tall and list the rough weight as 2000lb - probably verys on the malt type.

I believe that would be about 280 lbs. of grain in a 55 gallon drum. I think the cheapest you may find 2-row in a bulk buy at $.45/lb. Do you know any other specifics about the seller or the grain? Brand/type/age/etc...

I'm working on it. All I can see in his pic is "maltoferm(r) 10000 item # 5819" everything else is too blurry.

Ok. Lme is 640 for a Briess drum. So that is like 16 cents a lb. And enough for 100 batches at about 6.5 lb per 5 gal batches. I'm jealous. I'd brew and dump every day of I had that! The experiments I'd try! Ok maybe not dump. But I have serious trouble drinking 5 gallons quickly.

It turns out that, according to the guy at Briess, the lot # says that these barrels are from 2005. That means over 6 year old extract not properly stored; Breiss recommends disposal due to age. I don't think I'll be buying this 6 year old extract.

if you know anyone who has a distillers liscense, they coudl convert it to distilled alcohol - primarily for fuel, not to drink. I know someone who has a lisc through the Feds and State ABC to do just that, but CO is a little far to go and get it. :)

Back