55-60 degree bottling/fermenting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrTomMorrow

Reaction score
So I had my first batch about 2 weeks into bottle conditioning, and my second batch almost 2 weeks into its fermentation, and I had to take off for a few days. Both batches were in my basement and while I was gone the house got down to about 55 degrees. Will this have hurt/ruined my batches?

I took one of the bottles and put it in the fridge last night and am drinking it tonight. Tastes good, but almost like it's a tad bit flat.

Could it be because it still needs more time to condition, or could it be because it got too cold? Or could it be something else entirely?

I'm a newbie so appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks!

Beer will not carbonate very well in 55-60 degree temps. It will take longer than usual. Plus, two weeks is on the short side even at normal room temps.

If the other beer was done fermenting - and I suspect it was - then the lower temps aren't a problem, and will actually help the yeast to drop, improving clarity.

+1 on what he said ^^^^

If your bottles are a little undercarbed, just put them in a warm room and let them sit for another week or two. No harm, no foul.

Back