50A GFCI for a 30A control panel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RiderCoachLar

Reaction score
Just double checking: I'm installing an outlet for my new 30A control panel. Running 6 AWG wire to a 30A receptacle (which accepts 6 AWG wire) so I can upgrade to a 50A panel in the future without having to rewire. Can I install a 50A GFCI breaker now or do I need to stick with a 30A GFCI now and replace with a 50A when I upgrade my panel?

I had an answer, but now that I think about it, I'm not 100% sure. So - editing this to say never mind, sorry.

It's an interesting question. 50A seems OK because of the wire gauge. But if you have a 30A receptacle... they may need to match. Hmm. I'm curious too.

Last edited:
i'm not an electrician, but don't GFCI's just quickly shut off when they detect a ground? like when the toaster falls in the sink stuff? and they do it real fast unlike a plain breaker?

(and what ever you decide, make sure to place in some obscure location of the house. just in case someone else ever lives, there! ;))

The GFCI trips when it detects less flow back than is going out,

yeah it's like accountant, counting charged elctrons out vs' oh hell i don't want to make that analogy....but anyway that why all my plug here are hooked to a GFCI, i thought....and GFCI's are like REALY quick, like the wife runs to the dept store/prime day, with your DEBIT card, and like first purchase, shut that down! ;)

I used a 50 amp GFCI breaker in my subpanel (mostly because I couldn't find a 30 amp gfci cheap enough and spa panels were more cost effective when I built things) and a separate 30 amp din rail mounted breaker inside of my controller to take care of overcurrent. Worked out nicely as I later upgraded the control panel to back-back and just installed 2 30 amp breakers along with a 20amp for all the 120v stuff, pumps etc.

Back