Quantcast

50A GFCI for a 30A control panel?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

RiderCoachLar

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just double checking: I'm installing an outlet for my new 30A control panel. Running 6 AWG wire to a 30A receptacle (which accepts 6 AWG wire) so I can upgrade to a 50A panel in the future without having to rewire. Can I install a 50A GFCI breaker now or do I need to stick with a 30A GFCI now and replace with a 50A when I upgrade my panel?

tracer bullet

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I had an answer, but now that I think about it, I'm not 100% sure. So - editing this to say never mind, sorry.

It's an interesting question. 50A seems OK because of the wire gauge. But if you have a 30A receptacle... they may need to match. Hmm. I'm curious too.

Last edited:

bracconiere

Jolly Alcoholic
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
i'm not an electrician, but don't GFCI's just quickly shut off when they detect a ground? like when the toaster falls in the sink stuff? and they do it real fast unlike a plain breaker?

(and what ever you decide, make sure to place in some obscure location of the house. just in case someone else ever lives, there! ;))

bracconiere

Jolly Alcoholic
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
The GFCI trips when it detects less flow back than is going out,

yeah it's like accountant, counting charged elctrons out vs' oh hell i don't want to make that analogy....but anyway that why all my plug here are hooked to a GFCI, i thought....and GFCI's are like REALY quick, like the wife runs to the dept store/prime day, with your DEBIT card, and like first purchase, shut that down! ;)