500g block of dry yeast: storage and measuring without contamination?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shawnduthie

Reaction score
With my 200L system, I have started purchasing the 500g packs of S-05, though I obviously wouldn't use the whole block with one brew.

What's the best way to store the package so I can use it again? I have vacuumed sealed it, though I find there is quite a bit of yeast that then gets pushed out of the package during the vacuum process and I lose it. Also, I want to keep everything dry, so I cannot sanitize the vacuum pack. Any tips on how to store a large amount of dry yeast?

Also, when I am measuring out the yeast to rehydrate, how can I do this without fear of bacteria?

hmm. I don't have any ideas for storage but for using it, use a razor blade to cut pieces off the block. Just run a lighter over it for a little bit first then let it cool down. For weighing you'll have to use a scale so get a piece of foil and make a little bowl with it and run a flame over that. Heat it on the bottom so you don't have carbon deposits inside where your yeast will go. Use the blade to scoop up your yeast. This could all be done on a larger piece of foil that was heated and sanitized earlier.

Do you usually use the same pitch into your beers? If you do then, if it were me, I think I'd be dividing it up and finding a way to store each pitch individually. So, if you pitch say 50 g a time then cut it into 10 portions and store them separately. Then you only have to sterilise/sanitise your equipment the first time and if you accidentally contaminate some it'll only be one portion (hopefully) rather than repeatedly opening and exposing the entire 500 g of yeast to potential contamination. On the other hand, I guess you'd have to be extra careful of that initial division.

Hope you find a solution.

What about sanitizing small mason jars in the oven then let them cool and add pre measured yeast. I'd devide the whole block at once.

I've considered this route and am curious as to how it goes. Supposedly its difficult to safely do once opened. IIRC according to fermentis site it should be used quickly after opening & seal is broken. 2 weeks maybe? I'm sure someone somewhere has some info on storage.

What about not stressing over the storage (obviously still use best practices) then just rehydrating with water/chlorine dioxide? It's super easy to use with water purification tablets.

http://www.birkocorp.com/brewery/wh...ethod-of-washing-yeast-with-chlorine-dioxide/

That is an impressive study in your link, however dry yeast is not really suitable for washing & reusing. Rehydrating with h20 is all you need but you do have an interesting idea. The viability might be funked if not stored correctly or used within certain timeframe which negates the rehydrating if already doomed from poor care.

Vacuum sealing between uses is a thought. Or break into usable pitches & reseal as already noted.

I've been doing some data collection of dry yeast pitches that I've been doing lately with fermentis and lallemand yeast that was initially opened in the 1-1.5 year time frame and stored in a freezer for subsequent pitches and vacuum sealed for part of that time. The pitches have been doing fine although it's only been three that I've documented so far. Two dry pitch, one rehydrated. I would leave the unused portion in the original packaging if possible, vacuum seal and keep in a chest freezer for a year or more without really worrying.

I've been doing some data collection of dry yeast pitches that I've been doing lately with fermentis and lallemand yeast that was initially opened in the 1-1.5 year time frame and stored in a freezer for subsequent pitches and vacuum sealed for part of that time. The pitches have been doing fine although it's only been three that I've documented so far. Two dry pitch, one rehydrated. I would leave the unused portion in the original packaging if possible, vacuum seal and keep in a chest freezer for a year or more without really worrying.

I wouldn't be surprised such a "suboptimal" practice worked. The yeast should be able to overpower a slight contamination based on numbers alone.

I didn't know you could freeze dry yeast. Wow. I've opened packets & used over the course of weeks>months with no issue. It keeps at room temp just fine too, Love2Brew keeps theirs on shelves with no effect.

So basically, this is a great use of the mason jar and foodsaver vacuum sealer, pop it into the freezer. Spoon out as necessary, and reseal.
Hmmmm.

I might find a way to dry sanitize your spoon first. Maybe oven heat or flame or just shake out the needed amount onto a scale

Vacuum seal it, but put a folded paper towel down inside the length of the opening, then continue to seal it. I do this when I vacuum seal items that have a slight moisture to them. It keeps the moisture out from the sealing portion to provide a better seal. If you are worried about contamination heat the paper towel in the microwave.

Latest posts

Back