$500 to spend on upgrading. What should I do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fu_gazi

Reaction score
So I am going to have a $500 windfall that I want to put into my brewing setup. I eventually want to go to 10G batches. How would that money be best spent. Currently doing AG with the typical turkey fryer burner/alum pot/cooler setup.

Yeast starters are a great (and easy) way to make better beer. Get yourself a stir plate and flask. You'll still have plenty of $$$ left over for any other single upgrade.

Yeast starters are a great (and easy) way to make better beer. Get yourself a stir plate and flask. You'll still have plenty of $$$ left over for any other single upgrade.

Begin saving money to reinvest in your brewery.

TrocChris has a great idea. If I might refine it a bit....Head down to the DIY forum and make a stir plate yourself. Need a flask to enhance your yeast? Consider where you want to go as a brewer and do not purchase too small so you end up replacing equipment.

I have been using a five L flask for a number of years. And now that I am moving to a 15 Gallon brewery, from a 10, from a five on a Turkey fryer from a 5 on a kitchen stove, I will not be replacing it.

Plan ahead. It is part of the hobby.

Once you've got fermentation temp, starters, and oxygen on your equipment list (all fairly cheap) splurge on a bigger kettle (15-20gal), and potentially a larger regulator for your turkey fryer if the old one isn't cutting it. Mine is 5psi which is fine for boiling 7gal of wort, but probably would have trouble with 15 gallons. How are you chilling your wort? If you don't have a great chiller, I would suggest buying or building one. If you're mashing/boiling in separate vessels, a pump can make your brew day easier too.

+1 on temp controlled ferm, oxygen injector, starter equipment, then an upgraded kettle (+ burner if needed). After that, fermentors, so you can age and lager in your controlled ferm system!

When I first got into making starters I was brewing 5 gallon batches. I bought a 5L flask and loved it.

Then, when I went to 10G batches I had what I needed.

I am now purchasing and upgrading equipment for a 15 G brewery and will not have to purchase another flask.

Don't buy things twice.

BTW - I like the ideas above, especially the temp controls.

Back