$50 pin lock converted to ball lock a good deal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

makisupapolice14

Reaction score
A local guy on Craigslist is selling used pin locks that are converted to ball locks for $50. Assuming the kegs are clean and the components are in working order (possibly a big assumption), is that a solid deal? I have an old bev air bm23 that can store up to 3 1/6 barrels so dimensions shouldn't be a huge factor. How does the prv for these converted kegs compare to traditional ball locks ( I got my only one used for $45 locally)

I have two converted pin locks and 8 original ball locks. I can't tell the difference as far as utility goes. I generally try and grab kegs for $45 or less, so $50 is fair, just depends on how badly you need/want a keg. Best of luck.

I wouldn't pay $50, but that's just my opinion.

Part of the reason people prefer ball locks is the shape. They're tall and thin, so their footprint is smaller than a pin lock.

If your setup can handle the pin lock keg width, then go with them and save a few bucks...

The size of the kegs wouldn't work for me. Besides, I once had a bad experience with a used keg, so I now only buy new.

The converted kegs are going to be shorter and wider than a normal ball lock, which negates any advantage of getting a ball lock keg for me. You might as well get a regular pin lock keg and some MFL disconnects.

I already have all the hardware for ball locks so buying pin locks straight up doesn't make sense. I offered $40 and he said he's firm on 50. I'll probably just pass and keep an eye out for actual ball locks

Latest posts

Back