50 gallons of Hard Cider in a barrel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
4 pages in and still no pictures?! Seriously, we need pics of this monster!

EDIT: 5 pages in ;)

my.php

Here's my barrel!!

Alright! I did it. 550 lbs of whiskey barrel rolled off while on a piano dolly and onto my knee!!! After screaming for my buds to get it off of me and lying on the ground for a 1/2 hour in pain we proceeded to push this thing 80 ft. along my dirt basement floor as the wheels dug into the ground. We finally tipped it up and got it out the door into the night. We then put the barrel on a hand truck dolly and strapped it in. We laid down the dolly so the barrel was on its side with the dolly underneath. Realizing that we had about 125 yards to push this thing on the snow covered NH ground with ice underneath I suggested that we tie the dolly to the back of a truck and pull it out of the back yard, around to the front of the house, and into the front living room. So one of us drove the truck and two of us balanced the barrel on the dolly making sure it didn't roll. This took a very loooong time. We looked ridiculous!!

Please next time get video of your process!

I have over 90 Apple trees at my uncle's that he lets me pick as many as I want from, I have already made 15 gallons of hard cider and 5 gallons of Apple wine (still going). Plus another 37 gallons that we either froze, drank fresh, made vinegar with (10 gallons) sold, our gave away. It costs me .40 per gallon to get it pressed. I just bought two 55 gallon food grade plastic barrels and I'm filling one of them up later this week. I plan on adding potassium to kill the bad stuff and then adding sugar and yeast to it. I'm not sure if I want to put it in the basement or just leave it outside and let it freeze, my cousins grandpa lets his freeze in a 50 gallon whisky barrel and then melts to the center with a hot poker to get the unfrozen alcohol out, he says it is pretty much pure alcohol. It is a little late in the year for me to do that now because it is already to cold to ferment good here in Michigan but I am curious if it will just freeze and then when it gets warm thaw out and start fermenting again. I will probably just put it in the basement this year. The barrel cost me $15 and it will be a little over $20 to fill it. Any advise?

Back