50 beers to try before you die

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
16 for me. I agree with some of them but I dont think the writer has had all these based on the descriptions. Seriously, no description of Saison DuPont. This is IMO one of the best beers out there.. And no Unibroue or St. Bernardus in there??

9 for me. Is anyone else only finding 49 beers on the list? I've counted multiple times and got so anal that I put them in a spreadsheet. Still only 49. I think GQ is ripping off their readership. Either that or my counting ability is repeatably inaccurate.

Just counted - 50! From the REAL listing from GQ, not the blog spam.

50 it is.
Founders KBS was missing on the blog linked to above.
Thanks suprchunk.

This thread reminded me that I still need to try Anchor Steam Beer. This is the most overhyped and overrated beer that I've seen the beer community suggest that I've tried yet.

This thread reminded me that I still need to try Anchor Steam Beer. This is the most overhyped and overrated beer that I've seen the beer community suggest that I've tried yet.

Very true, but its one of the beers that "started it all". Its pretty hard to find it without oxidation on the east coast too. If you are on the east, I'd suggest finding it on tap. Don't expect to be blown away though.

I've had 24 or maybe 25 of those. Some of them are pretty tough to get here on the West coast. Off the top of my head, I can think of places where I can find maybe 3-4 more of them, but after that I have no idea apart from some travel.

I guess I'm confused as to how you can have an opinion on a beer you haven't even tried.

FWIW it's not my favorite beer of all time, but it sure is nice to get one on tap to go with some fresh seafood if you're in SF.

Anchor Steam is a phenomenal, phenomenal beer. If you haven't tried it, you're doing yourself a disservice. It's not a hop monster, it's not a malt bomb, but it is one of the greatest balanced session beers in the world.

It's pretty much my test for whether I can hang with a beer drinker. BMC and nothing else fans hate it, and people who like 100 IBU+ American IIPAs but nothing else hate it. But pretty much anyone who likes a broad spectrum of decent beers can recognize the brilliance of Anchor Steam.

It is also the only truly American beer style of all, something that gives me great glee when Dogfish Head, Bell's, or Bear Racer (beer drinkers from any coast in our nation) fans try to explain that IPAs are the "true American Style"--iPAs are something Britain's been doing for nigh on 200 years.

There are great, great American IPAs, and we are at the forefront of that style today, but when it comes to one type of beer that America invented and nobody else has even approached, steam beer/Cali common is it. That's the true American beer.

15 for sure, maybe more...I try a lot of different beers, and sometimes don't remember which ones :tank:

I don't think that Anchor Steam is overhyped. It is a very nice beer. Like others have said, it isn't some crazy big monster of a beer, but it is amazing in everything that it is.

Let's just hope it stays that way after the brewery changes hands...

I've had.....three.

If this were golf, I'd have just won the thread.

Anchor Steam, Dead Guy, and Old Chub. I have to agree, Anchor Steam is WAY overrated. I found it only "acceptable", not even "good" or "awesome."

Back