5 or 6 Gallon Better Bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesKY

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to place an order with Austin Homebrew and I want to purchase a Better Bottle. However, they only offer the 5 gallon model and not the 6 gallon model.

I've always used a 6.5 gallon glass carboy and I like having the extra head space at the top when brewing 5 gallon batches.

Is the 5 gallon model too small for 5 gallon batches or does it really matter? If there is any doubt, then I'll hold off and get a 6 gallon BB from another vendor.

Thanks!

I love my 5 gallon BB, but it is too small for primary fermentation. It's great for a clearing tank, though. Even a 6 gallon is a tad small, and may require a blow-off tube.

Sweet! Thanks for the link. I'll give the 6 gallon BB a shot. I usually use a blowoff tube anyway so I don't think it will be a problem.

I prefer 5gal batches in 5gal carboys with blowoff; in my own deluded world it seems like I'm blowing unwanted bitter crap out of the beer. Perhaps this belief is not grounded in reality.

I use my 6 gallon BB for primary - works great. I have both 5 and 6 gallon versions. I only use the 5 gallon for clearing, or apfelwein. One thing I would do is get the ported version, it makes transferring your beer around for clearing and/or bottling very easy. However, you're getting up to $50 or so by the time you buy all the stuff.

I prefer 5gal batches in 5gal carboys with blowoff; in my own deluded world it seems like I'm blowing unwanted bitter crap out of the beer. Perhaps this belief is not grounded in reality.

You're right, you are deluded. The stuff(krausen) you are blowing out has no effect on your beer. :D

Latest posts

Back