5 or 10G batches?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

showcow

Reaction score
Hey guys.
I'm about to start building an electric system and really can't decide on three 20G blichmann kettles or three 10g ones. As it is now I have one of each and do about 75% 5-gallon batches and 25% 10-gallon.

The flexibility to do this isn't insanely important to me but it would be nice.

Question is: those of you with 20G kettles... Is it super annoying to do a 5-6 gallon batch in them?
Does the boil off rate change a lot (too high, or can't boil vigorously enough so hot break isn't as good)?
Since I'll almost always be doing 5 gallon batches should I just get 10g kettles?
How about the mash, would the grain bed be too wide on a lowish gravity 5-gallon batch in a 20G MLT?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Personally I wouldn't do 20 gallon kettles for primarily 5gal batches - there are other people who say differently though. Bet you wouldn't even be able to turn the element on until the 4-gal mark. Blegh.

If you want to stick with 5 gal batches do 10s. If you want the option to do a larger batch, go 15s. If you think you'd do 10gal batches almost entirely, go 20s.

If you keg or plan to keg I would do the 15g kettles and brew 10 gal - 15 gal batches. I myself piggy back two, ten gal batches (my kettles are 13 gal). I haven't look at their kettles to see if you could get a good enough grain bed for 5 gal, but Bilchmann should be able to answer that one.

Personally I wouldn't do 20 gallon kettles for primarily 5gal batches - there are other people who say differently though. Bet you wouldn't even be able to turn the element on until the 4-gal mark. Blegh.

If you want to stick with 5 gal batches do 10s. If you want the option to do a larger batch, go 15s. If you think you'd do 10gal batches almost entirely, go 20s.

in the end, i decided to go with 10 gallon kettles for only 5-gallon batches.

Even with 15/15/15, that would mean BOTH 10G and 5G batches wouldn't be ideal (not enough room anyway for a 90-min boil on a 10G batch, 5G batches would be okay) - so I thought it best to go with the 10/10/10 setup. thanks guys!

I'm also going to mount the Camco 5500w ripple element in the same place Kal did - center of hole 4" from bottom of kettle. that way, i have flexibility for hop/trub filtering (right now I use a hop blocker, and it works okaaaaay). this means i could switch to a HopStopper if i wanted to. even mounting at this height, the element would be submerged about 5" from the bottom, which means i could turn the element on at the 3-gallon mark. Plus, with a 5500w element bringing only ~7 gallons of wort to boiling, it shouldn't take long at all :D

point is, this is another good reason to go with the 10-G kettles - I can mount the element high enough for any kind of strainer to fit, but also turn the element on within a reasonable liquid volume.

Back