$5 mod to pressure gauges

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gabbs1228

Reaction score
If you're like me you can't stand the fact that you have to pull out a flat head screwdriver to adjust the pressure on your regulator. I saw lots of guys drilling into the screw head but it seemed risky. I went to my local hardware store and bought a $5 package of JB Weld and followed the instructions to activate. Dabbed some on the screw head and aw inside the wire nut and held it on for a few minutes to set. I left the thing alone for 24 hours and found that it is firmly in place and it works great! View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1438283990.531510.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1438284010.879661.jpg

I use my fingers on the screw. Would be cool to JB weld a wingnut to it though.

Very nice. My solution was some JB Weld plus a cheapo replacement knob from a Home Depot hose bibb. The knob looks like this:

4ded323d-3633-4f76-88c8-bad6995783d3_145.jpg

I use my fingers on the screw. Would be cool to JB weld a wingnut to it though.

When I was at my hardware store, I picked up 2 different sized wingnuts to try. The only issue was that the diameter for both was not big enough to go over the screw head. I looked around at the stuff I had and found the wire connector and it fit perfectly. :mug:

fwiw, I modded my spare single-body Chudnow primary using a 5 star jig knob sporting an inch long 5/16-18 threaded stud - which is the same exposed thread length as the OEM screw with its nut backed all the way out.

5star_knob.jpg

I had to use a narrow Dremel grinder to knock off the knurls that the factory puts in the end of the screw to keep it from falling out of the bonnet.
Once that was done I was able to remove the screw, chase the threads in the bonnet, and install the knob.

reg_mod.jpg

Works great. I found the knob in my box o' jig parts, was a leftover from a project. I plan on getting more of them to upgrade all my regs.

I got the knob at Rockler, their SKU 23846, selling for $2.49 these days...

Cheers!

Back