5 lb CO2 tank empties too fast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pintabone

Reaction score
I have a spare 5 lb tank that I bought used along with a Kegco single output regulator. The tank looks to be in great shape and relatively new.

I don't use this tank to serve kegs in the keezer as I have a 20 lb tank which has lasted almost a year now and counting. This 20 lb tank has carbonated and pushed at least 10 kegs. However, this 5 lb tank I've filled twice. One keg was pushed serving at an event and the rest (2 fills total) has been used to pressure cold crash and transfer 1 beer and otherwise used to purge bottles when filling with a beer gun.

This seems to be emptying way too fast. I've sprayed for leaks and haven't been able to identify any. Any thoughts or similar experiences?

I think something must be wrong. I bought a 5# CO2 bottle in June 2016. I use it to carb, but not serve all of my batches. I have not had to refill it, I brew every month. I carb with it at room temp and 30psi. Probably my serving tank finishes carbing. Still, you are using a lot of CO2.

You probably have a leak. Turn off the shutoff valve that feeds the lines, open the tank, turn on the pressure, and set it to ~20 psi. Then turn off the tank, note the pressure, and come back in an hour or three. If the gauge has changed, then you know you have a leak somewhere between the tank connection and the line feed shutoff.

I have had leaky regulator-tank connections and those drove me batty for a while.

You have a leak. Only way to explain this.

The nice thing about a 5-pound tank is you can submerge it. Use a tub of water, submerge, see what you get. That includes regulator and fittings and such.

Spraying might or might not reveal a leak.

If you don't want to do that, you can try a different tank if you can get one. See how that performs. If the problem goes away, it's the tank. If it doesn't, it's in the fittings and such.

You have a leak. I can carbonate + serve about 8 kegs from a 5lb tank. I've had a very frustrating to find leak from a secondary regulator one time. Try to isolate each part of the system and test methodically.

In the past I have had problems with KEGCO tanks with leaks for some reason. These seem to help....CO2 leak stopper
upload_2018-2-20_13-19-14.jpeg

I've had issues like that in the past, to the point where I'm paranoid now. I always check every connection, etc, but it always end up being something with the keg itself. I've since replaced every gasket/o-ring in all my kegs as a precaution. There was at least once, and maybe more times that I can't remember, that it was something with the relief valve. Cheap to replace if need be.

As mentioned previously the easiest way to find the leak is to open up the valve and submerge everything, the tank, the regulator, the hoses and connectors. I just put together a converted paintball tank on a Kegco gauge and lost everything overnight recently. Submerging everything pointed me in the right direction. Use a laundry tub, a 5 gallon bucket (if it is deep enough), or a fermenting bucket. Make sure you get the gauges dry when you are done. You may have to pop off the glass and blow them out with compressed air. Be careful not to touch the needles. Get a new gasket for the regulator to tank connection. Your LHBS will have them and they cost under a buck (in a pinch you can cut up a PVC soda bottle and make one). Teflon tape your gauges and make sure they are tight (the high pressure one is left hand, reverse threaded). Check the pipe going from the tank to the regulator. I have had that pipe leak on the gauge end. Tighten up your hose clamps. If the tubing connections have been on for a while take them off, cut off the ends and freshly re-seat them. Let us know how it turns out.

Thanks for all the responses. I'm going to fill the tank before the next brew day to make sure I have it to apply CO2 while cold crashing and pressure transfer. It's possible that it's leaking from the lid of the SS Brew Bucket but from what I've seen people have commented that the domed lid is able to handle 1-2 PSI which is all I've applied.

The domed lid wouldn't explain the quick emptying of the tank though when I did push the one and only keg with the 5 lb tank. It lasted to push that keg and to use a beer gun and that was it.

Thanks for all the responses. I'm going to fill the tank before the next brew day to make sure I have it to apply CO2 while cold crashing and pressure transfer. It's possible that it's leaking from the lid of the SS Brew Bucket but from what I've seen people have commented that the domed lid is able to handle 1-2 PSI which is all I've applied.

The domed lid wouldn't explain the quick emptying of the tank though when I did push the one and only keg with the 5 lb tank. It lasted to push that keg and to use a beer gun and that was it.

Here's another question: How are you connecting your beer gun to the tank? I'd check those connections carefully. I recently switched one of my taps over from Sankey to Corny, and I drained 2 5lb tanks in a week (one was already hooked up to the system, how who knows how full it was). Turns out that gas barb on the Sankey was too big for the gas line, so it was stretched out. I didn't cut enough line, so the it was loose on the Corny barb, and the plastic hose clamp didn't clamp down tight enough.

I've had issues like that in the past, to the point where I'm paranoid now. I always check every connection, etc, but it always end up being something with the keg itself. I've since replaced every gasket/o-ring in all my kegs as a precaution. There was at least once, and maybe more times that I can't remember, that it was something with the relief valve. Cheap to replace if need be.

Side question BrewMan13: Do you use vacuum grease on your o-rings? You should. It'll fill in any gaps between the o-ring and the metal. Also, be careful to dry the all metal parts that the o-ring contacts. Water isn't viscous enough to prevent a gas leak.

Side question BrewMan13: Do you use vacuum grease on your o-rings? You should. It'll fill in any gaps between the o-ring and the metal. Also, be careful to dry the all metal parts that the o-ring contacts. Water isn't viscous enough to prevent a gas leak.
No I never have, but I've heard of doing so. It's probably a good idea, and cheap insurance against this sort of thing.

I don't know if "vacuum grease" is the same as keg lube, but you should always use something to lubricate the rings. It's not so much that it acts as a kind of "caulk" or sealant as it is to allow the o-rings to settle into the places for which they were designed.

In the plumbing section of your local big box home improvement store (Menards, Lowes, Home Depot) they will sell 1 oz tubes of "Plumbers Grease" for faucets. It works great. I think I paid $2.79 for tube. A 3 oz tube of "Keg Lube" will cost $7-8 at your LHBS. You may find both silicone or non-silicone. Either works (silicone costs more). A tube will last for a long, long time, as you hardly use any. It is good insurance to prevent O-ring leaks and the loss of $10 CO2 or worse, beer leaking at the fitting. Not only is that a waste but a mess.

In the plumbing section of your local big box home improvement store (Menards, Lowes, Home Depot) they will sell 1 oz tubes of "Plumbers Grease" for faucets. It works great. I think I paid $2.79 for tube. A 3 oz tube of "Keg Lube" will cost $7-8 at your LHBS. You may find both silicone or non-silicone. Either works (silicone costs more). A tube will last for a long, long time, as you hardly use any. It is good insurance to prevent O-ring leaks and the loss of $10 CO2 or worse, beer leaking at the fitting. Not only is that a waste but a mess.
I found large tubes of food grade grease for food equipment machinery on ebay... works well also although I rarely actually use it.

Just got the tank filled. Had the regulator set to 24 PSI and turned it off. Over about 24 hours it dropped down to 20 PSI. Obviously the pressure is leaking somewhere for the regulator to drop but only 4 PSI over 24 hours doesn't seem to indicate there is a significant leak.

Anyway, it's save to dump this whole think in water to try and identify the leak? that won't ruin the regulator?

Back