5 gallons is too much!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is there any easy way to cut down on the amount of beer brewed from these extracts? Thanks!

I don not drink that much, either. Do whatcha want. This hobby is graded on a curve. :D

Some people feel they MUST use a 5 gallon recipe to make exactly 5 gallons, or two whole cases. YOU paid for it. Break it down however you like. Heck, use a 5 gallon recipe to make a 3 gallon Imperial Stout. Make 5 one-gallon batches and vary the hops. Yeah!

Me, I like to make 2.432 gallon batches. :D Sometimes they come out terrible and I am glad I did not make 5 gallons of swill.

I second buying bottles prefilled. Much more fun that way and gives you something to drink while your first batch ferments

Lot of great info here. Thanks everyone! I realize I can make more beer while I still have plenty from my first 5-gallon batch, but what about all those BOTTLES?? I can't imagine how many bottles I'd have to buy to have several batches going at once!

Like the others say, that's where going "store bought" will help as your first batch is fermenting. You can kill two birds with one stone going this route. 1- you are getting to sample some different beers to give you an idea on a style you might like to brew. 2- As your sampling these different beers, you're building your collection of empties as you go. It's win-win.

On another note, while I like 5 gallon batches, there's nothing wrong with scaling down either. You have to brew more often, but you gain more experience due to this, plus you'll build up your variety quicker too (depending on how fast you drink your batches).

The only downside I see to smaller batches, is the smaller kegs are more expensive, if you're kegging of course. There's no where the amount of used 2.5-3 gallon kegs as 5 gallon kegs in the used market. Besides that, smaller batches are easier on the wallet as the grain bill will be cheaper, smaller carboys will be (slightly) cheaper, and you don't have to spend as much on a big freezer/fridge unless you just want that many taps available (nothing wrong with that either).

I started with 2.5 gallons batches. Very easy to cut most recipes I half. But now I find it feels like a lot of work with not enough payoff. Add the fact that I share a few bottles with friends and co-workers and I find it goes fast ( and I have one a night, sometimes two max) now I have two five gallon kegs that I use for full five gallon batches of recipes I know I like and can brew well. I then have a 2.5. Gallon keg and do half batches of new recipes and styles that I am not sure about.

If you're happy with smaller batches and want to have the same variety of brews available to you as 5 gal brewers have then you should look into the storage aspect of your unused ingredients (yes, we're all aware stored unused ingredients are not as fresh).

Here are some links I kept for my own use when I brew smaller batches with my good 'ol Mr Beer keg:

Storing hops:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/storing-hops-393693/

Storing LME:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/liquid-malt-extract-381079/

Storing Crushed Grains:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/storing-crushed-grains-376396/

General Storage Guidelines:
http://www.northernbrewer.com/connect/2012/12/storing-ingredients/#more-7713

Noticed that Austin Homebrew Supply carries some small batch kits...probably others do too.

Also if you want to nail the original recipe, but just smaller, this is easier to do w software because technically it is not a linear change (just dividing by 2 for example will still make beer but not quite the same as the original).

Re: bottles. For the first couple of batches I got a collection of plastic bottles from buying budget sparkling water. Then over the months I amassed a big enough collection of glass bottles to use them exclusively.

Supplying beer-drinkers with homebrew in exchange for their empties is a neat little method, as is filching them from other peoples' recycling boxes :eek:

I've also been known to buy multi-packs of non-alcoholic beer when they're on offer. You get all those bottles at a fraction of the cost of buying them empty! Plus having a guilt-free beer at lunch is a nice little bonus:D

this is easier to do w software because technically it is not a linear change (just dividing by 2 for example will still make beer but not quite the same as the original).

Yes, but 85% of the time this won't be significant. After all, the *recipe* itself is almost never quite the same as the "original" with amounts given not because they are the very best flavor or even precisely what the recipe writer used, but because the are the nearest unit measurements.

Most recipes don't even give the Alpha Acid Units of the hops. Making a 5 gallon batch with 19% AA rather than the "original"'s 16.3% is going to be more different than a 2 gallon batch with 2/5 of the 16.3% hops.

But, yes, you are correct that recipes aren't completely linear and software can help you fine tune and it's useful knowledge to understand how scaling works.

Re; Bottles.

Where is everyone getting the ~$1/bottle idea. My LHBS, which charges too much for everything, sells bottles for $12.50/24 case and most HBS's sellthem for less. ~$.50 /bottle I'd say.

Still that is a one way-money flow as they are only bottles. I've always fantasized but never dared going up to a homeless person with a shopping cart and offering 6 cents a bottle.

I have bought 3 cases of new bottles at $12.50 each. It's a one way money-flow, but it's cheap for the convenience of getting started. Once started between friends empties and re-using I practically never am for want. But to get started... meh, what's a $37.50 one-time investment.

i've scaled back a lot of my brewing to 2.5 gallons. it just makes sense. i love the 3 gallon carboys.

i will brew 5 gallons of a tried-and-true recipe.

i have enough beer that anything "just okay" sits around. i despise having 5 gallons of just okay bottled beer sitting around. the good stuff goes fast, whether it is 3 gallons or 5.

i don't give away my just okay beer, either, because i don't want to be judged by it. so it just sits there.

I understand that we should not force our views on people, but from personal experience, I know his concern may not be well founded. .
"it's not that i want to force my views on you, it's just that your views are wrong."

Lot of great info here. Thanks everyone! I realize I can make more beer while I still have plenty from my first 5-gallon batch, but what about all those BOTTLES?? I can't imagine how many bottles I'd have to buy to have several batches going at once!

you'll have bottles coming out of your ears before you know it

I've been doing AG 3 gallon batches for a couple years, due to space and electrical circuit limitations. As the beer kept getting better (and after I switched to kegging) the batch size now seems way too small. That is a LOT of work for 25-30 12 oz servings. I almost cried when my pilsener ran out. Switching to 5 / 10 gallon batches as soon as my stout-tanks order comes in.

If 3 gallons is what you want (I wouldn't do less) you don't need to buy kits, Either pick up a book (brewing classic styles is great, by JZ) and scale down recipes, or ask folks on the forum to help you create your own recipe.

Love the idea of reusing bottles from beer I buy at the store. Probably a silly question, but is there an easy way to tell just by looking at the bottle in the store if it's a twist-off or pry-off?

Love the idea of reusing bottles from beer I buy at the store. Probably a silly question, but is there an easy way to tell just by looking at the bottle in the store if it's a twist-off or pry-off?

Yes. Look for a uniform bulge around the cap. Twist offs will have many smaller ones.

I think the most important thing to take away from all the advice here is this:

When we started this hobby, probably 95% thought that making 5 gallons (48 bottles) of beer would prove to be a TON of beer. We all had visions of cases of yet-to-be-consumed beers piling up high over the months... most of us were excited about the prospect of having beers forever!

Then the overwhelming majority of us realized that 5 gallons isn't that much at all. It goes FAST! It's hard to understand BEFORE you actually start brewing. This is why we are offering alternative advice. I'd say 80%+ of the people on this site would admit to being shocked at how fast their beer goes. Friends, family, etc.

Yes. Look for a uniform bulge around the cap. Twist offs will have many smaller ones.

And most domestic beer will be twist while a great deal of imported stuff are pop top.

You can also ask local bars and pubs and catch people returning bottles to a depot. Places that serve craft beer are nice because they typically have pop tops and very often they pour the beers into glasses.

And most domestic beer will be twist while a great deal of imported stuff are pop top.

You can also ask local bars and pubs and catch people returning bottles to a depot. Places that serve craft beer are nice because they typically have pop tops and very often they pour the beers into glasses.

Not the domestic stuff I drink. Most BMC beer is twist off.

Ha I remember when I started, the guy that taught me told me it would make 5 gallons of beer, I was like woah! 5 gallons!?! I'll hardly ever have to brew! then reality set in.. after doing a bunch of back-to-back brew AG seessions I'm moving up to a 10 gallon system.

To the OP, when I started teaching my brother in law how to brew I was splitting 6 gallon batches with him, so we'd end up with 3 gallons each; if you know someone else who likes beer, you could split the cost and product with them.

I've got 10 gallons which are 2 weeks in bottles now and I'm feeling an overwhelming compulsion to brew at least another 5 gal batch ASAP! :D

It's easy to do less than 5 gallons. Just cut the recipe in half and do 2.5. You usually need 2 of the 3.3lb malt extract cans to do a typical 5 gallon batch around 4.5-5% abv. So doing 2.5 gallons would only require one can plus specialty malts. Or if your brew shop carries bulk extract you can just get half of what any 5 gallon recipe requires. They also make 3 gallon carboys which are perfect for a 2.5 gallon batch. Honestly though I would recommend getting a 5 gallon in case you ever need it because you can ferment 2.5 gallons in a 5 gallon carboy.

With that said, as others have mentioned, 5 gallons is really not as much as it sounds. I am not a "heavy" drinker but I will enjoy a beer or two every night. Between myself and giving a few bottles away to friends 5 gallons only lasts about 3 weeks. Since I can only brew every month or two I have moved up to 10 gallon batches to make my homebrew last longer. If you plan on giving any away to family or friends I would suggest doing 5 gallon batches. With bottle conditioning which helps reduce oxidation your beer should last at least 6 months so if you need to supplement with a commercial beer here and there between homebrews so you aren't always drinking the same stuff you should be able to get through 5 gallons unless you only drink a few beers a month. I would say since they will last that if you brew every couple months you can have a few different styles of homebrew available to you so you don't get tired of drinking the same stuff all the time. If you find that you still aren't drinking it fast enough I'm sure you can find people who would gladly take some off your hands, I never have enough to give away to all my friends who want some.

Not in my house :mug:

Ladies and gentlemen, Dikembe Mutombo brews beer!! :D

Dikembe-Mutombo.png

.......They also make 3 gallon carboys which are perfect for a 2.5 gallon batch. Honestly though I would recommend getting a 5 gallon in case you ever need it because you can ferment 2.5 gallons in a 5 gallon carboy.........

If he has no carboys at all, I agree....but I would get a 6 gallon so he could also use them for 5 gallon batches.

Depending on his setup (and if he stays at smaller batches) I do think getting some three gallon carboys will be a better benefit, space wise. I can only fit about four six gallon carboys in my freezer, but I think I could double that with the 3 gallon Better Bottles as they are the same height as the 5 and 6, but slimmer.

Back