5 gallon brew in 2 separate pots

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevem86

Reaction score
I have read that brewing an extract brew in 6 gallons of water (to account for evaporation) will give you better color and flavor than brewing in 2.5 gallons and using top off water.
That makes sense.
My question is, I have two 5 gallon kettles, could I split the recipe between the 2 to make it as though I am boiling 6 gallons?

Sure can, just split the ingredients between the two and combine them together when you go to the primary.

Will it have any negative affects by splitting the hops up? (Lower ibus, change in flavor, etc)

The hop utilization will be better. Rather then boiling a thick wort and toping off with water. when I don't do 2 batches at once I do this method for extracts.

833R said:
The hop utilization will be better. Rather then boiling a thick wort and toping off with water. when I don't do 2 batches at once I do this method for extracts.

Just to clarify: are you saying that you will get better hop utilization from two 5 gal pots (each containing 3 gal) than you would from a single large pot containing 6 gallons? Because I don't believe it, but I've been wrong before.

OP is comparing full boil in a single pot to two full boil half batches.

I think you are comparing full boil to partial boil with top off, and if so I agree with you on hop utilization.

freisste said:
Just to clarify: are you saying that you will get better hop utilization from two 5 gal pots (each containing 3 gal) than you would from a single large pot containing 6 gallons? Because I don't believe it, but I've been wrong before. OP is comparing full boil in a single pot to two full boil half batches. I think you are comparing full boil to partial boil with top off, and if so I agree with you on hop utilization.

No, he is right. I was asking if that would be better than boiling 2.5 gallons and then topping off with water. Makes sense to me.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. Topping off will result in worse hop utilization. We are in agreement.

When I read your post, it sounded like you understood that a partial boil was not as ideal as a full boil and that you were comparing two full boil/half batches to a single full boil/5 gal batch.

At any rate, I think that we are all in agreement and that your understanding is good.

You could just add 1/3 of your extract at the beginning of the boil and the remainder (2/3) at flameout. It makes for a fresher tasting wort that way, with less caramelization. That way you don't have to boil the full volume or use 2 pots.

Could you split an all grain or PM into two different pots and just add both worts into the primary at the end? I don't see how it would be any different than an extract being split up, just a bit more work.

Could you split an all grain or PM into two different pots and just add both worts into the primary at the end? I don't see how it would be any different than an extract being split up, just a bit more work.

That's exactly what I've been doing for all of my all-grain brews. Works fine, beer tastes great.

Back