5 Gallon Batch Using 1.5 Gallon Pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello Homebrewers, I wanted to Know If I Can Brew My Extract Recipe In A 1.5 Gallon Pot And Then Just Add The Concentrated Wort To The Already Pre Boiled 3.5..Would That Affect Any Taste Or Is It Just Not Recomended??Any Help

It will effect hop utilization if it differs from the suggested amounts. I'd recommend you follow the volumes for your kit. Can you post your recipe? :D

Agreed, the only real impact is going to be hop utilization. (assuming it's not a pre hopped kit) Extract has already been boiled and cooled once so there is no need to boil the extract for DMS or protein reduction. The boil will darken the color a bit.

Rhanks Everbody That Was A big Help And tasq I Still Dont Have recipe Yet Still Searchin For An Ipa To Brew My First Batch

An IPA is almost impossible to get with with a 1-1.5 gallon boil, sorry to say. It has to do with getting enough hops into the wort to bitter it properly. I boil off a bit over a gallon an hour on my stove, so if I was doing something like this I'd still try to get a big enough pot to boil more, like 3.5 gallons, for an IPA.

Yea that makes sense since boiling evaporates and the boil tume would be probably and hour so thanks i think i will just buy a bigger pot at least 5 gallons

I guess it depends on how hard you like your hops to hit, but you can make a decent IPA using malt extract in a spaghetti pot. Sure, your utilization isn't going to be as good, and I don't like extremely hoppy beer, so take this with a grain of salt: 1/2 oz of Magnum boiled for 60 minutes is plenty bitter for me. Add 1 oz of Citra at flame out to get the citrus flavor and aroma that seems to be popular these days. (My book has more details on this recipe.)

I wouldn't buy a special pot for my first brew, but many people do "go all in" and spend a lot of money getting equipment for their first brew. If you want to do that it's up to you, but you shouldn't feel like you have to in order to make good beer.

Back