5 gal MLT...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tireater

Reaction score
All copper, sight tube, remote temp sensor, steam injection, power stirring while closed...Did I miss anything?

100_3287.jpg

Almost ready...I just need to drill holes in the copper in the top lid for rinsing the grain...
I used a friends metal cutting band saw to cut the drain slots...Took 30 minutes...and came out really nice...!
100_3291.jpg

That is a heavy duty paint stirer from OSH...$20...I had a 3/8" collar and a couple washers to adjust the height...

here is a pic of the drain cuts...A metal cutting bandsaw with a thin blade made it easy...
I increased the slices the farther from the drain I went...
100_3294.jpg

The copper drain manifold is shown with the slots facing up, is that how you will use it? Or just for the picture?

It is upside down for the photo. I found out a 1/2" FPT by 1/2 tube from Home Cheapo fits perfect in the origional seal...
The copper manifolds hold themselves in place...Still easy to disassemble for cleaning...
100_3295.jpg

Almost finished...Gonna add another sight tube...I need to figure out how to monitor temps while closed...
100_3310.jpg

About the sight tube, in my experience that tubing gets very "limp" when it is hot. Can you keep it straight so that you can mark off gallon or quart marks?

Looks nice.

I was going to add a couple hold down straps on the sight tube...This will help support the valve...
I will mark gallons on the site tube. Thanks for the idea...

I was going to add a couple hold down straps on the sight tube...This will help support the valve...
I will mark gallons on the site tube. Thanks for the idea...

I marked mine in quarts, since generally my strike volumes are calculated in quarts. Just an idea, either way, they are a great addition.

You do know that the sight glass will not read accurately while you're draining right? The water flowing past that Tee leg will create a mild venturi effect and read lower than it really is. I highly recommend Pol's cooler sight setup with a stopper and some polycarbonate tubing.

BobbyM recommending a Pol invention?? What is this love fest lately?

Finished it up today except for a source of steam...
and marking the sight tube in qts. Thanks for the tip Pol...
Did a test and there was 7/8 cup of water left in the MLT on level ground...

thanks...I have a pressure cooker and wart chiller on the way...
I pick up the turkey fryer, pot and 3 sacks of grain Friday...
It looks like my brewing career is picking up speed...

Forgot the power stir option...It's all good now...
I don't get my grain grinder until Fri and I'm Jonesing...

I figure it was $130...The coolers were $16 ea. at K Mart...

I figure if I went 10 gal in the future...I just need a couple cheap coolers...Every thing will transfer over...

That is a pretty solid deal for 130$. I might have to make a trip to Home Depot or Lowe's soon. Thanks for posting the process!

I ride Harleys...I twisted 3 crankshafts...Probably $8,000...I feel better about spending money on this...
Besides...My Harleys don't make my g/f look hotter...Beer does !

Victory...Everything worked...Nothing leaked...Hit the times and temps...
Power stirring while adding steam worked perfect...even in a blackout...
I'll do another batch this morning with a few less homebrews...and a few more notes...:ban:

Back