5 gal bottled spring water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I heard Jesus was pretty good at turning water into wine, but the rest of use should stick to using grape juice. That being said, I think 5 gallons of spring water would be a good starting point for making ale, just add some mashed grain. :)

Now on to the serious stuff.

If you're going to use a bottled spring water to ... lets say, dilute your must, it would be a good idea to have some sort of idea regarding the water's mineral content and alkalinity. Yeast likes and uses calcium for reproduction and it doesn't hurt to add a measured bit of nutrient containing yeast hulls and nitrogen to the mix.
Is there a water profile you can refer to that gives mineral content, pH, and alkalinity? If so, it's a good starting point toward understanding for additions of water to the must - and the same rule holds for making good beer better with the right water.

I heard Jesus was pretty good at turning water into wine, but the rest of use should stick to using grape juice. That being said, I think 5 gallons of spring water would be a good starting point for making ale, just add some mashed grain. :)
I agree with anything Jesus ever did !! Thanks for your reply.

Now on to the serious stuff.

If you're going to use a bottled spring water to ... lets say, dilute your must, it would be a good idea to have some sort of idea regarding the water's mineral content and alkalinity. Yeast likes and uses calcium for reproduction and it doesn't hurt to add a measured bit of nutrient containing yeast hulls and nitrogen to the mix.
Is there a water profile you can refer to that gives mineral content, pH, and alkalinity? If so, it's a good starting point toward understanding for additions of water to the must - and the same rule holds for making good beer better with the right water.
I will make sure I know what's in it and how much before I use it to start a batch of blackberry wine. Do you think it will be better than just using clorinated tap water ? Our water here I'd always oily looking. "Yuck" I won't even drink it.

BUT... you can treat your tap water with campden tabs to remove chlorine and chloramines, making your tap water basically just as good as any bottled water.

I only use bottled spring water myself. Why risk ruining a batch? It's cheap.

Are you asking if you can use the bottle as a carboy?

Latest posts

Back