5 days

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ster

Reaction score
I know its early, but I always crack one open in a week or so just to see...

Not a hint of carbonation. No sediment.

Did my 6 day coldcrash @ 37F ruin it?

Or just give it more time?

Your cold crash probably took most of the yeast out of circulation but there are still some floating around in there. Try it again in 8 weeks.

8 weeks?

If you are serious I will never cold crash again.

Rather have beer sooner than clearer.

Why did you cold crash? What type of beer? More info is necessary.

A 6 day cold crash at 37*F didn't drop enough yeast out to keep it from carbonating. I typically crash for 5-7 days at 35-36*F and the batches that I bottle carb turn out just fine.

This time of year, room temps can get down a bit below 70*F. Even a slight decrease below 70 means that it will take longer than the normal 3 weeks that it takes when stored at 70-75*F. Also, higher ABV and certain complex beers will take longer.

Did you use an online priming calculator? If so, what temperature did you plug in? What temp are they currently stored at?

I always cold crash.

Its a very light blonde ale.
3.3# Gold LME
1 Xlite Dme
1 wheat dme
1# corn sugar
Irish moss
Saaz
Crystal 10
Carapils

Florida. Room temp 77 or higher.

Used 3/4 cup sugar as usual.

Wait.

It usually takes at least 2 weeks for a bottle to carbonate and often longer. I have had some that were carbonated at 2 weeks (the earliest I have checked one). But, ALL of my beers tasted better after conditioning at room temperature for 3 weeks or longer.

Ster said:
8 weeks? If you are serious I will never cold crash again. Rather have beer sooner than clearer.

Mostly I was messing with you because you clearly have a patience problem. Unless it falls into one of the categories already mentioned, it will probably be carbonated in 3-4 weeks.

Unless it is an IPA/APA, it will be better in 8 though. After all the work you have put into it, wouldn't you like to see it at it's best? :mug:

Hi,

Depends on a couple different factors. If secondary was more than a few months then might have to pitch new yeast. Usually this is a problem with a super long extended secondary fermentation, not secondary fermentation.
Secondary ferementation over a few months may cause your yeast to become dormant. Under that you should be ok.

Back