5 days to have two 5 gal kegs carbed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhoDatDad78

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello all,
I need help carving 2 kegs fast. I have until Saturday, and the 2 kegs are currently at room temp~70°F and I have 30 lbs of gas on them. My kegerator is, well, kaput. I'm buying one in the next couple of days to chill the kegs. My garage is about 38°F, so I could put them out there for the week... I need some advice or confirmation. Btw, it is a robust porter and a session steam lager that I have kegged.

Chart pressure indicates 30 psi at 70°F would eventually reach ~2.6 volumes of CO2.

You could carb your kegs in an afternoon at that temperature/pressure combination (or maybe slightly lower pressure, say 28 psi to get down to ~2.5 volumes) by rocking them back and forth with the gas line connected until you can't hear gas entering the kegs. Do a round, then let the kegs sit for an hour or so, then do another round. You'll quickly notice it takes way less time to hit the "No gas flowing" with each round.

I've done this a few times in time crunches and usually the third round is the charm. I don't roll or even lay the keg down, just rock it back and forth with it standing on the floor...

Cheers!

Last edited:
The burst method is prone to over-carbonation for first (and even many) timers...

Cheers!

that's why i'm doing it by weight. and i have to stay it's still tough, but i cold crashed my last batch, and that's why it was cold and on tap so quick! took the co2 quicker.

Chart pressure indicates 30 psi at 70°F would eventually reach ~2.6 volumes of CO2.

You could carb your kegs in an afternoon at that temperature/pressure combination (or maybe slightly lower pressure, say 28 psi to get down to ~2.5 volumes) by rocking them back and forth with the gas line connected until you can't hear gas entering the kegs. Do a round, then let the kegs sit for an hour or so, then do another round. You'll quickly notice it takes way less time to hit the "No gas flowing" with each round.

I've done this a few times in time crunches and usually the third round is the charm. I don't roll or even lay the keg down, just rock it back and forth with it standing on the floor...

Cheers!
I've done pretty much this myself, as my first keg was full before my first kreezer was built. I think my reg topped out at about 28 psi, but that's pretty close to chart at room temp. I shook at that pressure then left it connected to gas for a day or two while I finished my kreezer. Once I started chilling I vented the headspace and set the reg to 11 psi based on my serving temp and volume level. Carbonation seemed fine when I had it.

Hello all,
I need help carving 2 kegs fast. I have until Saturday, and the 2 kegs are currently at room temp~70°F and I have 30 lbs of gas on them. My kegerator is, well, kaput. I'm buying one in the next couple of days to chill the kegs. My garage is about 38°F, so I could put them out there for the week... I need some advice or confirmation. Btw, it is a robust porter and a session steam lager that I have kegged.
If you chill them they'll only carb more slowly.

Back