5 Day Sweet Country Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll ck when I get home, got it from a grocery store

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Local chain grocery store in Western Mass.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1396313230.078150.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1396313247.851177.jpg
Do not use!! Killed my poor little Yeasties... Oh well prepping another one as we speak this time with a gallon of AJ and more cinnamon to up the gravity a bit

Just took my final gravity. I ended up with 8 percent. Primed with dextrose. I'll pasturize tomorrow night.

I couldn't wait. .. its delicious. The vanilla gives a cream goodness. Cutting myself off at two.

Started at 1.062 SG, now at 1.022 yielding 5% after 4 days. Now I added a 1/2 cup brown sugar to this recipe for one gallon in primary and see a lot of floaters and a rich bottom. I've never fermented with brown sugar so is this typical?
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1396660746.138570.jpg

First time poster, long time reader. Thank you for the recipe, I used it twice now and its wonderful.

Quick question now. My third batch seems to have gotten the rhino farts. Its in day 3 of fermenting, did not check the sg level yet, will tonight. Will these rhino farts prevent me from finishing the batch in 5 days?

Just cracked open my first bottle. I've made a few ciders and this is by far my favorite so far. So quick and easy. Nice and sweet with a nice cinnamon finish

Has anyone tried this expedited brew process with ginger? I'm curious why this wouldn't work with other brews. I made a ginger beer this week with 50g grated ginger, juice of two lemons, 1.5 cups sugar and topped off to 5L. I used the same timeline as the cider recipe to see how it will turn out just curious if anyone else has tried this with ginger and why this one week turn around isint used more often.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Does this not finish with a yeasty after taste? Any cider I've done has taken a month in the bottle in the fridge to lose the yeasty taste.

Absolutely no yeasty after taste, just pure sweet goodness!!

If I can bottle pasteurize in my dishwasher, do I have have a significant risk of bottle bombs? My sister wants to make this before she heads off to grad school in Ohio, and she currently lives in North Dakota. I don't want a bomb going off while she's moving. Although if its ready that fast we may get through a batch or two by moving time.

Another question, is this still or sparkling? If I want sparkling can I use corn sugar at bottling or primer tabs?

good morning, ive been making 1 gallon batches of this 5 day cider, and its awesome!! thank you so much!

I have two questions.

First, i made a Belgian White style sweet cider, with a little coriander and and orange juice/peel. I got busy, and bottled it a day later than i should have. starting og was 1.070, and final gravity was 1.015, so the alcohol content was higher and the residual sugar was lower. Since i usually takes a day to bottle car, i gave it two days, stove top past'd it. let it chill in the fridge for a few days, to let the co2 fully dissolve, and upon opening it, i get a still pressurized hiss and a few bottles, nothing more. if i run late on bottling again, how long should i bottle carb to insure i get nice fizz?

Second, I've been thinking about making a cider with raspberries added to it, in a one gallon, and I'm wondering if anyone else has done this, if so how did it turn out, and how did you put the berries in, did you grind and press them, or maybe just smush a bunch of them and put them in the carboy.

Thanks for your help,
Jonathan

Get yourself some of those little 8 oz water bottles. When you bottle fill a few of them and they act as your testers. You can go by firmness or if you make two or three and you are unsure crack one open and test it out. They should feel like a soda in the store would feel, then you are ready to pasteurize.
Never tried the berries sounds good though. You should just go for it and let us know what you find.

I tried a one gallon batch, with 8oz of smushed raspberries, and it turned out amazing. How ever, I need to get better at filtering out some of the extra yeast and raspberry bits, because there is alot of sediment at the bottom of the bottles by the time its done and chilled.

How would one go about bottling this up in PET bottles? I have read that stovetop pasteurizing will melt the bottles. I am wanting to get a batch going, but all I have are the plastic PET bottles. Will be a few weeks before I can afford some glass.

Just keep in the fridge till you drink up or is there another way to halt fermentation that will not hurt the PET bottles?

Or should I just play it safe and ferment out and backsweet/prime up?

Potassium sorbate or just refrigerate and drink

Bottled my first batch earlier today. Put them in the fridge a few minutes ago and am enjoying a glass from my test bottle.

Nice and fizzy, great flavor and very cloudy, but I am not concerned with how it looks. Not sure of the ABV as I have no hydrometer, but it is a touch dry. Just enough to counter the sweetness of the apple which is nice.

Next batch hits the fermenter in the morning. :)

Anyone notice any diacetyl off flavors? Mine tasted great at bottling, even slightly carbed already ... Left it in bottles for a day and put in the fridge. A week later it tasted like hard cider popcorn.

Ferment temp was around 75F for 5 days, 1.07 start, finished at 1.015. Did not add anything other than apple juice, white sugar and Lavin d47 yeast

Ferment temp was around 75F for 5 days, 1.07 start, finished at 1.015

Sounds too warm for Nottingham. I haven't tried it above 70 (at least not intentionally), but I think folks generally aim to ferment Nottingham in the mid-60s or lower, with that ideally being the temp of the liquid in the fermenter, not ambient air temp.

[EDIT: sorry, didn't read closely and missed that you used Lalvin D47 in place of the Nottingham. I haven no experience with that yeast, but over in this thread they were recommending not taking it above 70 F to avoid fusels]

I was thinking of altering this recipe a bit, but being a cider noob am a bit skittish about using my precious, hand-pressed cider in a wild experiment.

So...some questions that I don't think have been covered (though at 38 pages, I'm not 100% sure)...

1. Is the brown sugar used for a particular reason? How does using white sugar alter the final product?

2. How noticeable is the cinnamon flavor?

3. Has anyone tried this without the cinnamon sticks? I have friends who like cider, but not so much cinnamon-flavored cider.

4. How sweet is the finished product, compared to, say, a commercially available cider?

Thanks for the input!

I think the type of sugar is personal preference. I've done it both ways and I just like the brown sugar better especially if you have some fresh honey you can add to the mix. Cinnamon sticks totally optional it's up to you. If you just used one or two though it's not a do I acting flavor. Be bold, experiment and see how it comes out. That where all these recipes originated!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Just another post to see if anyone has experienced a diacetyl buttery off flavor? My first batch tasted great to me...until a friend mentioned that it tasted like popcorn. Then I noticed it as well. I made another 1gal batch of this with S-04, tried to keep it in the 65-70 temp range and then bottled. It went more dry than I had hoped (1.016) but it still had plenty of sweetness. Just has an odd taste...I think its diacetyl but I don't know how to tell for sure. Its definitely a little bit yeasty tasting, too.

I think I'm also a bit paranoid, so I may be "looking" for an odd taste and possibly playing mind tricks on myself. Anyone want to send me a bottle of theirs? (is that even possible?)

Will running through the high temp dishwasher cycle kill any of that flavor? I just toss it in my drink cooler which is at 34 degrees to stop fermentation.

Just another post to see if anyone has experienced a diacetyl buttery off flavor? My first batch tasted great to me...until a friend mentioned that it tasted like popcorn. Then I noticed it as well. I made another 1gal batch of this with S-04, tried to keep it in the 65-70 temp range and then bottled. It went more dry than I had hoped (1.016) but it still had plenty of sweetness. Just has an odd taste...I think its diacetyl but I don't know how to tell for sure. Its definitely a little bit yeasty tasting, too.

I think I'm also a bit paranoid, so I may be "looking" for an odd taste and possibly playing mind tricks on myself. Anyone want to send me a bottle of theirs? (is that even possible?)

Will running through the high temp dishwasher cycle kill any of that flavor? I just toss it in my drink cooler which is at 34 degrees to stop fermentation.

70 sounds pretty warm to me for S-04. I usually shoot for 64 (fermenter temp, not ambient air temp) with S-04. So that's definitely a possible source of your off-flavors.

I decided to give this cider a try. A week ago my SG was 1.064, and now it's only down to 1.061. The cider I used didn't contain preservatives, so I have no idea what's going on. I'm thinking I'll move it to a makeshift carboy and use my good one to try again with plain apple juice I've used in the past. I'm also going back to Red Star champagne yeast instead of Cider House Select.

I have a question about using plastic bottles to assess carbonation. Wouldn't a 12 oz bottle be best if that's the size of the glass bottles? I've seen various recommendations in this thread, but nobody's mentioned that yet.

I decided to give this cider a try. A week ago my SG was 1.064, and now it's only down to 1.061. The cider I used didn't contain preservatives, so I have no idea what's going on. I'm thinking I'll move it to a makeshift carboy and use my good one to try again with plain apple juice I've used in the past. I'm also going back to Red Star champagne yeast instead of Cider House Select.

I have a question about using plastic bottles to assess carbonation. Wouldn't a 12 oz bottle be best if that's the size of the glass bottles? I've seen various recommendations in this thread, but nobody's mentioned that yet.

Word of warning...though I have never use red stars champagne yeast I have found tht champagne yeast tend to leave the cider quite dry..

Isn't that only the case if I let if ferment out? I thought the idea behind this recipe was to prevent that from happening.

Also, has no one tried a 12 oz plastic bottle for testing carbonation?

Isn't that only the case if I let if ferment out? I thought the idea behind this recipe was to prevent that from happening.

Also, has no one tried a 12 oz plastic bottle for testing carbonation?

I use 12oz soda bottles to test carbonation. I have a few that I just rinse and reuse. Works great.

I use 12oz soda bottles to test carbonation. I have a few that I just rinse and reuse. Works great.
Good to hear. I think I'll try both a 12 oz and a 16 oz with the air squeezed out to see if one is more accurate than the other.

I just used 2 gallons of straight apple juice and one gallon of apple cider with Nottingham. I racked to a keg after 6 days (I was busy) and it's delicious. This will be how I make cider going forward.

Just threw this together but used us05 after using notty on my first batch of another cider and it stinking up the house.

Prefer it a tad on the dryer side so might let it get a little lower than 1.04.
Gonna keg it up and looking forward to drinking it soon. Thanks for the recipe.

Made 2 batches of this over the winter. First one turned out awesome. By the time I made the second it was to cold in the basement and it didn't fully ferment, still good but not as good as the first batch.

My first batch was made with Costco apple juice as only variant to OP recipe. The OG was 1.06ish and I bottled at 1.03ish. Let it bottle carb for a few hours and then pasteurized using stovetop method.

I used the plastic bottle method to judge bottle carb and probably should have let it go a bit further. Ah well.

We ended up with 2 cases of a damn fine cider. Im terrifically happy with the first results. As an experimental answer to my own post a few days ago, I added Creme de Cassis (.5oz) per 24 oz bottle and capped. Not sure how it is yet, we will let that sit for a week and try.

Thanks again to the OP, as someone who fell in love with Breton style Doux cidre, its a hell of a thing to be able to make it ourselves.

M
What yeast did you use and did you rehydrate it?
Also how many days did you let it age

I've been using champagne yeast and cider yeast for this recipe, because they're cheap and I'm poor, but the end result has an overwhelming sulfur presence. Is there anything to be done about this besides merely using another yeast?

Also, what dry yeast are people getting the best results with? I only have the capacity to do a gallon batch at a time, so dry yeast is the most economical for me.

I've been using champagne yeast and cider yeast for this recipe, because they're cheap and I'm poor, but the end result has an overwhelming sulfur presence. Is there anything to be done about this besides merely using another yeast?

Also, what dry yeast are people getting the best results with? I only have the capacity to do a gallon batch at a time, so dry yeast is the most economical for me.

Sulfur could result from high fermentation temps (appropriate temp will depend on what yeast you used). Or insufficient aging after fermentation.

As for yeast I've had success with Nottingham and S04.

Well I can't really do much about the temperature, since that's determined by the utility bill, and my fiancée.

But does aging really make that much of a difference for something that's been pasteurized? If there's sulfur in the bottle and nothing left alive, what changes would occur to help it?

Not this recipe exactly, but I fermented a mixture of Great Value apple juice and Kirkland apple juice using Premier Cuvee yeast, and it turned out pretty good. (a little tart, though.) I didn't add any sugar, fermented it completely dry, and primed the bottles with sugar for carbonation. I add a squirt of simple syrup when I drink it, and that brings back the apple flavor. I wondered if 71B yeast might be better, to take away some of the tart edge...

I just have a few bottles left, and it is much better after aging for a month; I should have made 5 gallons instead of just 3. Doesn't really need the syrup to taste good now (it's still really dry, but not harsh and the apple flavor is back)

i will try this:

one gallon of apple juice 100%
one cup of Sugar
one stick of Cinamon
five cloves
lalvin k11 yeast.

my plan:

day one: make the must
day two:take pictures XD
day three: more pictures Lol
day four: bottled in plastic 1l test the carbonation and the pasteurized and put it in the refrigerator.
day five: test it?

Cheers..

Yesterday i drink the first batch that i made with this recipe and it was amazing, no too sweet and not too dry just perfect.

i drink two 250ml bottles and i start to feel alittle bit tipsy. XD

regards i recomend alot this recipe. perfect for noobs like me.

Latest posts

Back