5.2 ph stabilizer question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

autonomist3k

Reaction score
I forgot to add my 5.2 before mashing in, so at about 20 minutes into the mash I added it by just stirring it in.
Will this help or hurt me? what if any effects can I expect from doing that?

It may or may not hurt. Effects? None, really. That stuff is junk and has very limited/no use. Avoid it in the future. There's no magic powder to set mash PH.

Agreed. I store my whirlfloc in the old 5.2 container. Most useful its ever been.

I should have kept the jar when I trashed mine. To paraphrase AJDelange on the product. It works well for folks who do not use a pH meter, doesn't work at all for those who do.

My thought process when I bought it was.

I should look at controlling my mash pH. That's desirable right?
Hello, here's a product that does that for me. So simple.
The manufacturers couldn't make such crazy claims regarding its efficacy if there wasn't some element of truth to them.

After a small amount of self education one comes to realize the efforts Brewers go to to optimize their waters constituents and pH. If it was so simple then there would be no need for all the books, research and tools devoted to water chemistry and its importance. The penny really drops when I spent some minimal time in the brew science forum.

Back