4th batch -- some questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerGrrrl

Reaction score
So previously I have brewed two saisons and a scotch ale, all of them from kits. So I decided to start putting together my own ingredients so I can learn more; so my last batch was just a basic pale ale.

With my previous three, they each came with instructions from the brewing supply store. This time around I used the recipie in Mosher's Radical Brewing and in this one it had me soaking the grains in the mesh bag only as long as it took to reach 200 degrees F, which was only about 15 minutes or so. With my previous three it had me soaking the grains in 154 degrees for 60 whole minutes. I guess my question is...why? Am I going to get a different affect, should I have soaked them longer?

Second, I accidently bought dry yeast. I bought my products online. And I am worried they are just not going to take. Can I simply buy liquid yeast and repitch it?

That is all...for now! Thanks!

Are you extract brewing or partial mashing? (IE: Are you just steeping specialty grains or base malts?)

And on the yeast, chances are, it will be just fine. A lot of people I know and people on here use exclusively dry yeast. Nothing to worry about there.

Tom

Back