4th Batch - Need some confidence to leave in primary.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbhood

Reaction score
So I have my Oatmeal Stout from Austin Homebrew in my plastic bucket primary. It is the extract version with steeping grains and oats. I used liquid White Labs British Ale yeast.

I am at at 3 weeks and the last 3 readings (1.025) have been pretty stable. Any harm in leaving it there another 2 weeks? I might get time to bottle next weekend, but I'm really not sure. If not then it will be 5 weeks in the primary if I get to it the following weekend.

I searched and most people are saying 3-6 weeks is fine. I've never gone that long. I normally go 3 weeks. My last batch was a Fat Tire Clone from extract that I moved to a secondary to clarify and it turned out well. Not worried about clarity on the stout, but worse case should I move to the secondary anyway if I won't bottle soon, or is the primary fine for 6 or even 7 weeks.

Thanks

yah, you will be fine. AHS kits are good stuff. i'm sure it will be tasty!

I brewed this same kit about a year ago, left in primary for 21 days then bottled. I don't ever do a secondary. Looking back in my notes, I tried the first one after 4 weeks in the bottle and it was pretty good. It only got better with age though. I have a few left which are superb. Enjoy!:)

A lot of research has been done on this topic recently. Some say that leaving your beer on the yeast cake for more than 3 weeks can result in off flavors etc. Many disagree, myself included. BYO magazine did an experiment where they had several people brew 2 batches of beer, same recipe, and leave one on the yeast cake for 6-8 weeks and the other one just for 2-3 weeks. Then they had them do blind taste tests and send in their results. The consensus was that there was no difference.

I usually let each batch sit for at least 4 weeks in primary. Never had a problem yet.

Thanks. It is always good to hear from the fine folks here that you are on the right track.

Back