4th Batch help thanks guys

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt3360

Reaction score
Hey all

Just done my 4th batch extract brew :)

Its a coopers dark ale, i have finished fermenting and took a hydro reading all is well. I always dump the samples as i dont do many usually they taste ok but this one was a bit bitter. As i always brew youngs bitter it may just be the brew and the fact its just finished.

Also it fermented so powerfully that the airlock blew! and now the lid is coated in krusan, there is bits floating in it and they are really small, im worried it may be infection floating on simply bits of the krusan that have fallen into it.

Any advice people could give would mean a lot as i was really looking forward to the dark ale. If i can bottle i want to avoide the small floaty bits.

Thanks alot guys support means alot

matt3360

Sorry i forgot to add that i always sanitize really really well i make a point of it

How long has this been in the primary?

Were the floaty bits there in your gravity-reading cylinder? If so, did they settle out after 5-10 minutes of no agitation?

If they settle, you should be fine to transfer to a second bucket or bottling bucket if you're just careful to not suck stuff off the bottom of the fermenter. You might do well also to transfer and let it sit a day or two to calm everything down before you bottle.

I wouldn't worry too much. Just be patient. It sounds like you've got a young beer. The bitterness should fade as it sits longer.

Also, the krausen will eventually settle out. I would let it sit for another week or two, then recheck. I leave my beers in the primary for 2-4 weeks minimum, plus take multiple gravity readings starting at the 2 week mark to ensure fermentation is complete.

I have a barleywine in my primary now & pitched it on the yeast cake, krausen & all, from an IPA I brewed. I just took a hydrometer reading after 2 weeks in the primary & it's coming along nicely...tasted great too!

When your airlock blew, the pressure from CO2 build-up in the bucket should have kept anything from coming into contact with your brew. I doubt you have an infection if everything else was sanitized well like you said.

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

Hey guys thanks for the quick reply,

The floaty bits look the same as the krusan which has coated my lid so it may well have just fallen. There is no film on the beer in fact its the clearest one i have ever had. In regards to it being a young beer i think its on the 8 day mark now so it is very young. Im at 1004 so i know its done.

So you rekon i should let it settle a few days?

I have read its best to age the dark ale for 1 month in the bottle anyway.

Thanks alot guys i know theese extract brew questions can be a bother but im making sure i perfect this method and get a few under my belt until i move onto a partial in the summer.

Matt3360

Definitely let it settle for at least a few days, especially if you're in no rush & planning on letting it sit in the bottles for a month anyway. Even though fermentation is done, letting it sit longer allows the yeast to clean up any off flavors that may be present. I know it's tough to wait, but you'll have a better final product.

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

Latest posts

Back