4L starter in my primary ferm bucket?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mullenium

Reaction score
im planning to make a clone of pizza port mo betta bretta, calling for a 4L starter of WLP 645

I dont have anyting available to make the starter, so can i just use my primary ferm bucket and then siphon my primary wort right on top of the starter yeast cake after the starter is ready?

I've never thought about doing it like that before, but I don't see why you couldn't.

The only problem might be that you are intended to decant the larger starters and only pitch the solids/slurry at the bottom.

Do you have a 1.5 gallon or so sized Stainless pot with lid? If you used that you could decant the spent liquid off the top until you just start to see the yeast slurry comming out and pitch that way?

I've never thought about doing it like that before, but I don't see why you couldn't.

The only problem might be that you are intended to decant the larger starters and only pitch the solids/slurry at the bottom.

Do you have a 1.5 gallon or so sized Stainless pot with lid? If you used that you could decant the spent liquid off the top until you just start to see the yeast slurry comming out and pitch that way?

yeah that may work?

here is what my instructions say:

Make a 2 qt. (~2 L) yeast starter in a gallon (3.8 L) jug and let ferment. Add another 2 qt. (~2 L) of wort to starter when done. Aerate at each step. Mash at 150 °F (67 °C) for 60 minutes in
4 gallons (15 L) of water. Collect about 6.5 gallons (25 L) of wort and boil for about 2 hours, yielding about 4.5 gallons (17 L) of wort. Add hops for final 60 minutes of boil. Add yeast nutrients for final 15 minutes of boil. Cool wort and transfer to fermenter. Aerate wort and pitch yeast sediment plus half the liquid in the yeast starter to yield 5 gallons (19 L). Ferment beer at 64–75 °F (18–24 °C). Let beer condition for at least 4 weeks before bottling.

why is it saying to only pitch half of the starter?

why is it saying to only pitch half of the starter?

It's saying to pitch half of the liquid, not half of the yeast.

I normally put my finished starters (gallon jugs work great) in the fridge for a day or two, then decant off most of the spent wort. I keep some in there, to use to swirl up the yeast cake on the bottom. That must be what your instructions are telling you to do.

When the yeast is done with the wort it settles at the bottom, so by dumping half the liquid you are not losing much yeast. Then swish the other half of the liquid to stir the yeast sediment back into solution (so you don't leave the good part behind) and add that to your fermenter. Also the Brett liquid might be too strong (sour?) to add it all to the batch. Then, again WLP645 is all Brett so...?

Good luck!

Back